We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocosmia 'Rowallane Yellow'......and other Crocs!  (Read 15120 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Crocosmia 'Rowallane Yellow'
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
I didnt say anything about you taking over the collection
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
Hi John

Most Crocosmia are ok to around -5C if you mulch them...........

Mark

Good grief that's not very hardy. The Lucifers in Halifax have been through -18c unmulched but with superb drainage just blocks away from home. the previous winter the frost was down 20 inches or more.  That winter I did lose many of the the paniculatas planted out for years but the backups should be fine in the milder garden.

I'll report back next spring on what emerges but will keep Solfatare as a tub plant.

thanks

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Mark

• To err is human, to arr is pirate.
    • The Crocosmia Gardens
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 07:09:16 AM »
John

For those to survive -18C they must have been in a very very well sheltered position or the drainage must be totally phenominal to be able to keep the corms dryish through the winter.

Anyway good luck with them and i hope they do survive for you.............

Mark
Mark Fox
www.thecrocosmiagardens.net

NCCPG/Plant Heritage National Collection Holder of Crocosmia.

Mark

• The Crocosmia Gardens
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »
Mark

'someone has taken over his National collection of Crocosmia' is what you wrote.

As I am the only national collection holder I assumed you meant me........ and I didn't take over his collection at all! He broke it all up and sold it all to people that wanted to buy his plants.

Mark
Mark Fox

johnw

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 01:20:32 AM »
John

For those to survive -18C they must have been in a very very well sheltered position or the drainage must be totally phenominal to be able to keep the corms dryish through the winter.

Anyway good luck with them and i hope they do survive for you.............

Mark

Well as good as it can be with bedrock down 2 or more feet.  I wouldn't call the sites screes but all those seems to be near a slope. They have survived even lower temps on occassions without snow.  I think frozen ground is better for some plants here than an open winter with constantly wet soil.

johnw

Mark

• The Crocosmia Gardens
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 02:21:16 AM »
John

Its when they are wet and then freeze that is the killer with crocosmia........ Just turns them to mush!!! All mine are grown in pots and I take them inside for the winter........ some in the greenhouse , some in sheds... anywhere as long as they are kept dry.

Mark
Mark Fox

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
My crocosmia do well in my very free draining, sandy, slightly acid soil (near the coast so we don't get as much frost).  But I also over winter dahlias in the ground as well due to the nature of my drainage. So I think Mark is right about that.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

johnw

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »
My crocosmia do well in my very free draining, sandy, slightly acid soil (near the coast so we don't get as much frost).  But I also over winter dahlias in the ground as well due to the nature of my drainage. So I think Mark is right about that.

Chris  - A friend in a milder area tried to over-winter Dahlias in the ground last year by covering with plastic and them mulching heavily. You're right just too wet and cold under there. Not one survived but the unprotected Lucifers were fine. Maybe a thin layer of frozen soil over the Crocs protect them from excess wet here???

Another had her Lucifers disappear for a year and assumed they froze out. The next spring they all appeared again.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:01:44 PM by johnw »

ChrisB

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
Hi John,

Don't know about crocs, but I had to cut my dieramas down to nothing last year, they'd just got too big, and I thought I'd killed 'em, but they are now shooting up again this year.  Not quite the same thing i know, but it is amazing the punishment these S African corms can take.  I really thought I'd done a job on them as they were growing closer and closer to the pond, now I really am going to have to get my feet wet and dig them right out.

I had trouble establishing Croc. 'Solfatare', the one with the brownish foliage, but this year it has decided to bloom for me.  Flowers should open this week with a bit of luck and some sunshine...  Perhaps the mulch of gravel I put down in the spring helped keep the soil moist enough for it to grow?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
Hello all, must put my twopennorth in.  C. Solfatare was difficult here as well until I put it in semi-shade where it has done much better.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ChrisB

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
Ah, Brian, that may be the help its getting.  My birch tree does shade the area some nowadays, hadn't thought of that!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Mark

• The Crocosmia Gardens
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 02:04:22 AM »
Brian

Thats a good point................... not all crocs like full sun!
There are quite a few that like some small amount of shade because they scortch in the sun and the foliage just turns brown and crispy!! Although it doesn't kill the corm, it doesn't do it any good.
Mark Fox

johnw

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 03:24:19 AM »
Hello all, must put my twopennorth in.  C. Solfatare was difficult here as well until I put it in semi-shade where it has done much better.

Yes better looking here now that the tub is shadier but still a shy-bloomer compared to the others.

I must photograph the C. aureus from Cistus Nursery (what a plant list! www.cistus.com) when it flowers as it is quite a good big-flowered form.  Maybe it's something else.

johnw

ChrisB

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:28 AM »
Just went outside to do something and noticed my 'Solfatare' is absolutely full of bloom, more than I have ever seen on it before.  There has certainly been something different this year, I scarcely had two or three spikes in the past, must be dozens this year.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
As this thread has widened a bit since Anne's request for corms of C. Rowallane Yellow (did you get some Anne?) can I jump on the band waggon. Here is a picture of a one clump of few I have dotted round the garden from some corms originally given to me about four years ago by Roger Stuckey of Stuckey's Alpines here in Exmouth. The growth suits my windy garden being about 60cm high. Is the picture good enough for anyone to hazard a guess on a name for them?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal