We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne SDR2  (Read 927 times)

alan jones

Daphne SDR2
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
Has any new information about Daphne SDR2 been forthcoming and validated?  I purchased this plant several years ago on the basis of: 'To know a plant, you've got to grow it.'  I would be most interested to hear the opinions of others who have grown it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Daphne SDR2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

This pretty daphne has now been identified as D. walongensis and the collection SDR2 has been given the name 'Kevock Star'  It was collected by Stella and David Rankin of Kevock Garden.

In their list they describe it :
"Daphne wolongensis 'Kevock Star' SDR2 is a particularly fine member of an excellent genus, which has recently been described as a new species. Its evergreen leaves are bright green, on upward-growing stems, giving a shrub that is taller than it is wide. In spring it produces masses of lovely, scented flowers, almost white inside but deep pink on the outside. Growing rapidly, it soon makes a feature in the garden, with its only fault being that one plant grew so robustly that a branch broke off under its own weight. Within a year it was impossible to tell."

How this helps, Alan. :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

monocotman

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »
Alan/Maggie,
this sounds a super plant to rival D.Bholua.
Alan -any comments on how well it grows?
Thanks,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

alan jones

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
Monocotman:  You ask how it has grown for me?  Vigorously.  Up to four feet in the relatively short time I have grown it.  Though it pains me to be negative, I have to say I am disappointed: the flowers are insignificant and I can detect no scent.  I do hope I am being fair and true.  It is in a good position on a peat bed in which one or two Daphnes perform well...as well as bulbous species. Alan J.

monocotman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
Alan,
thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll give it a miss - I like my daphnes highly scented,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal