We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glasgow SRGC Show, 5th May 2012  (Read 7610 times)

johnny-l

Glasgow SRGC Show, 5th May 2012
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
A big warm first hello and thank you to everyone involved in the forum who makes these postings possible especially Maggi, Ian and Fred.  The SRGC would be so much the poorer without the communicative embrace of this powerful but so effective medium.  Enough blether...it's time for toe dipping in the rock garden pool.
The West of Scotland group will hold its annual Show on Saturday, 5th May in the Milngavie Town Hall (next to the railway station) which is located in the northern suburbs of Glasgow about 7 miles from the city centre.
Staging: 7.30pm - 9.30pm (Friday); 8.15am - 9.30am (Saturday)
The Show will be open from 11.30am - 3.30pm.
Nurseries in attendance:

johnny-l

Re: Glasgow SRGC Show, 5th May 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »
(Oops!  No idea what button I hit inadvertently.....Glasgow Show continued)
Nurseries in attendance:
Ardfearn
Hartside
Kevock
Rumbling Bridge.
+ club plant stall
Whilst the judging is in progress the tea-room will be accessible for light refreshments of coffee, tea, cakes and rolls. The bookstall will be in attendance and, if I can place this in the foyer, will be available to members before the Show opens. Anne Chambers will offer her usual selection of botanical cards; Glassford Sprunt his labels; Anne and Sandy Leven their wide range of club merchandise; surplus seed will be availble at nominal cost.

Before the advent of the Web the Shows were undoubtedly our Shop Windows to the world and to the public.  To a great extent they can still offer lots of opportunities to present the Club's case in person in a vital, palpable way but the exposure we gain from them is governed by the determination, relevance and extent of our own input.  So, while this little notice is a preamble to a wonderful occasion on Saturday, it is also a light reminder that there is no Show without Punch viz.
(a) We need plants for the show bench and the club plant stall.  Even if you are not currently an exhibitor why not cnsider it  for next year: an empty Shop window has nothing to Show.
(b) Ditto above for those who just wish to view. Benches groaning with rosulate violas, rare primulas and American fritillarias would be a diminished reality if no one turned up to admire them.  If you haven't been to the Milngavie Town Hall why not come along on Saturday - I can't promise you all or any of these beauties but there will be some cracking alpines displayed in one of our best, naturally lit Show halls.
See you there!

Carol Shaw

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Looking forward to returning to the Glasgow Show after a break of several years... David & I had our possible Show plants out for inspection and are delighted to say we will have something to exhibit! Our challenge is that we can't carry as many plants as we would like due to David being publications manager - ah well not much longer now we trust. See you all on Saturday.
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
An interesting  feature  of the Glasgow show is the section for auriculas. The photo shows  the relatively  new variety The Caley -one of a range of plants named to  commemorate the bicentenary of the Royal  Caledonian Horticultural  Society in 2009. This one belongs to George Anderson the  president at the time but it has just dropped its flowers so will not make it along the M8 to Milngavie.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:29 AM »
Not only is that quite stunning, but it seems to have a ridiculous number of flowers on it! ;D Is this another characteristic of the variety or the skill of the grower?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
Today's show was of a very high standard both for the number  of plants and the quality. Several friends  from the north of England contributed to this though the Forrest medal went to Cyril Lafong  with his Daphne petraea in a 6 pan class that also took the Jubilee award. Show secretary John Lee announcd that this was Cyril's 43rd Forrest which equals the record  of the late Harold Esslemont. Cyril also won the Simpson Memorial trophy  for best orchid in show with a Dactylorrizha.
Janet and Jim Paterson took the Class 2 Buchanan rose bowl for 6 big pans in class 1.
George Young  took the Archibald rose bowl for 3 big pans in class 2 as well as a certificate of merit for his Helichrysum.
SdP took the Darling trophy for 3 rhododendrons in class 4 and shared the Crawfod silver challenge trophy for most first points in section 1 with Brian and Shelagh Smethurst-seen with their winning Celmisia in the grey leaved class
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:52:56 PM by Stan da Prato »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
By jove, some great looking plants there, Stan. Congratulations to you and to the other exhibitors.
Good to see some chums "from the south" visiting and doing so well.

Fancy a Forrest going to a daphne in a six inch pot! Who says you have to have giant plants to win?!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
Todays show was notable for the quality of the plants.  Quite a few exhibitors from South of the border were noted.

I only took a few pictures of the plants that stood out for me.  Stan and Sandy were busy clicking away so I am sure there will be lots to follow

1  A stunning Paeony cambesedessii
2  Anemone trulifolia.  A beautiful shade of blue with little silver dots at the end of the petals.  Thepicture cannot convey the purity of the colour.
3  Meconopsis delavayii  - M&H Taylor.  This was new to me.  Absolutely charming little plants about 25cms. high.  I want it !!!!!!!
4  Ramonda nathalia
5  Gentian Auculis from   I. Christie.  This plant seemed to glow

I had shown item 2 as a hepatica for some reason .  Wrong !!!!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:14:51 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
Watt Russell took the Ian Donald Memorial trophy for the best Scottish native plant with his Paris.
Ian Kidman received the Joan Stead prize for the best Primula in show with P. bracteata.
Carol & David Shaw took the Don Stead Prize for most  points in the bulb classes.
Certificates of Merit also went to:
Alan Spencely for Paeonia cambessedesii
Margaret & Henry Taylor for Meconopsis delavayi
Cyril for Daphne calcicola, Trillium pusillum.
In section 2 there was also a tie for the most points shared by Richard Green  and the Sue Simpson/George Watt partnership.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:29:23 PM by Stan da Prato »

angie

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Wow there are some amazing plants there. MORE PLEASE.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
some general views - more plants tomorrow -as well as people

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
Hello, we had a great day at Glasgow show and the show benches were full with first calss plants as shown here by Stan, our friends from the South added many interesting plants, conversations and great friendship, we were delighted to see them all great weather as well. Ipost my pictures from the day,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
A few more, some hailstones on the way home hope for a good morning, Ian.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
What a great day and a terrfic Show.  Well done to Stan for posting so quckly.  Nice too to be recognised as a forumist by quite a few people including Graham Catlow, much better looking than his avatar.  If any of this is spelt incorrectly please excuse my keyboard seems tbe on a  slow this morning and missig letters.

Thanks to you all for a wonderful welcome.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
some more plant pictures taken on a walk round the hall

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal