We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now Mid November 2006  (Read 22263 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Flowering Now Mid November 2006
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 11:03:24 AM »
I used to grow a large number of Epiphyllums until we had a very hard frost. These are a few of what I used to grow flowering now in plant heaven. The last one is E. cooperi
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »
Not sure if this still qualifies as Mid November but here goes.

One of my unremarkable (but pretty nonetheless!) Lewisia Cotyledon Hybrids, grown from my open pollinated seed and still in flower today as it has been since early April. Will they never sleep or shall I be re-potting them in February still in flower? :)

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »
Forgot to add a sort of close-up version in my last post. My first attempt at posting a picture and I'm still in a sweat over it. Must read Maggi's "Idiots Guide to Posting Images" PS photography not one of my strengths! ???

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
Now, David, I am much too well brought up to have made any reference to an "idiot's guide" to anything... I have merely collected some advice together that I feel may be of use to forumists !!!! And I do recommend it!
If I had resorted to said title for guide then I would be the sort who was now making remarks like " if the cap fits...etc" !! 
Heaven forbid ! We're all having little hitches with learning new tricks, even those young whizz kids are stumbling now and then!
I am purely here to serve.........
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:03:32 PM by Ian Y »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 04:36:34 PM »
Hi Maggi

I have worked in IT for years (my job title is software developer) - yet I needed your help to work out how to post pictures.  I would hope to think that if I had been involved in coding the forum I would have made picture posting a little bit more obvious (but then it may not have been designed for a plant forum by someone who loves pictures of plants...).  Could this be something that you pass onto the hosting company to consider for future releases?....

Your idiots guide was invaluable to me - I would have been very frustrated without it.

Please don't take the above as a criticism of the new forum - I very much like the added features (quick loading (click pics for more detail if interested), better email notification, editing posts, formating options, user profiles, and more etc etc...).  But I think it is always worth mentioning what users want to the developers as it is very hard for them to think of everything that the end user may find useful when desgining a new programme.

with my very best wishes

John

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:40:43 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »
Hi, John, thanks for your comments, very reassuring! You can take it that Mr Admin will have read your suggestions and will pass them along, he is on the ball about such stuff !
Cheers, Maggi

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 07:54:24 PM »
Maggi,

Sorry-ill chosen phrase on my part-hope I didn't cause offence to anyone.

Isn't it a pretty plant though!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »
David, we know there was no offence meant, and none is taken, I assure you!
The Lewisia is lovely....there are others that bllom for long periods and seemingly out of season... I can't think which they are... give me a moment to get grey cells in gear...... the Ashwood 'Carousel' hybrids, if I remember rightly. I am very fond of those; nice compact plants that are generous with their flowers. I hope I'm remembering the right name! I'm sure there were photos in the old forum... I'll have a search later.
Funny how so many things are flowering with extra flowers late in the season, or making a very early start for spring. I 've seen some squashed hedgehogs, killed on the roads, recently and they have all been much to small to have been born at the "proper" season, there must have been some late season litters... poor little devils, they were too small to have hibernated successfully even if they had managed to get safley across the road.
The big flocks of redwings and fieldfares are arriving in our area, now... they must think winter is coming!

PS Good to see you have morphed so elegantly to human form from your larval stage as an auricula !!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
She who must be obeyed ventures the view that even she would rather see a picture of an Auricula. This is the first time, for some time, that she has not used the words "bloody" and "Auricula" in the same sentence :o 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 04:08:47 PM »
Can anyone ID this flower?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
Is there some needlework involved here ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 05:15:32 PM »
 Mark's question flower:
I believe this to be the rare Helleborus embroidicus...or even Helleborus crocheticus..... but I had no idea Mark was so skilled!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:41:16 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2006, 11:59:48 PM »
You just never know what secret hobbies people have.

Actually this was done by Sue who emailed me to ask for some Hellebore photos so she could embroider them.

Back to flowering now and 2-3 months early is Lonicera purpusii that normally flowers in late February. The shrub has most of it's buds swelling. Pity I cant post the scent

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006, 10:41:49 AM »
I have an Ashwood yellow Lewisia flowering at the moment and it has been non stop for at least 2 months but here is Silene hookeri hookeri which has awoken early.

Yet this Nerine flexuosa alba is only just coming into flower

Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »
totally amazing to see this thread has been looked at over 1400 times as has the current Crocus and introduction page

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal