We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica in Ontario, Canada  (Read 2073 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Hepatica in Ontario, Canada
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:08:13 AM »
I had the opportunity to observe some wild Hepatica growing near Perth in Ontario between the 12th and 16th April this year.  Ontario had an unusually mild winter so I imagine these flowers were earlier than usual.  Excluding trees and grasses these and Coltsfoot were the only wild flowers I found initially, although a spell of warm weather brought on violets and dandelions.  It was still too early for Trilliums.

I found the flowers surprisingly easy to miss.  They never seem to grow very densely and the flowers turn to face the sun so they are much easier to spot if you approach with your back to the sun.  They seem to locate themselves in clearings in woodland or in areas where the trees are less dense.  My first photograph shows the most densely-packed area I found.  Yet you can barely make out the Hepaticas as tiny dots of white, blue or pink.     
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Hepatica in Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
This was on a nature walk so the flora was conveniently captioned.

Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
Some pictures of the flowers.  In the first picture you can make out a dog-eared leaf and also what I presume is an Erithronium leaf; these were distributed profusely here.
Almost in Scotland.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
Lovely to see that Alan.  I didn't know they were native to Ontario.  Must tell my friends....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal