We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012  (Read 9315 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:26 AM »
Perhaps so the enthusiasts could all take time to visit the show instead?

It's very easy I think,  for out-of-towners (WAY out, in my case) who visit the show here on the Forum, or, I guess, the actual event, to forget the huge amount of organization and devotion to the task, that go on beforehand so a great event can be mounted. Such dedication should gain highest rewards and commendations. It's good for us to see this first stage. MY own thanks certainly go out to all those involved.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
The process of judging does not start until the participants have taken refreshment. Prize stickers and record sheets are  given to the stewards  and teams of judges - three in each - briefed. This year Pamela Eveleigh the traveling speaker was along as an observer. One team starts at class one the other at class 120 though  they sometimes  work as one big group for the bigger classes.  Stewards put the stickers on the cards and collect results so  the points can  be calculated for  the various awards-they also eat rather a lot of the home baking. As the class results are decided  they are passed to Ken at his seat on the stage to allow him to do all the adding up. Meanwhile Glassford is taking notes for a show report in the club journal. Finally the trophies and certificates  are allocated and the cards  signed before going on the bench next to  the winning plants.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
Some pictures of plants that took awards- others were taking better close ups than these which  hopefully will appear in due course. The Forrest medal went to Tommy Anderson's Lamium. He also won the Corsar Trophy for best European Primula. Cyril Lafong won the very competitive small six pan  class one  though in the photo one plant has been removed. Cyril alo won the equally competitive three pan class 2 which included the best Asiatic Primula,  the  best bulb with a large Erythronium and the cup for new, rare or difficult plants.  Carol and David Shaw took the best Saxifraga award; John Lee the Evans quaich  for the best Ericaceous plant other than a Rhododendron with a Cassiope while  Alan and Jane Thomson received a merit certificate for their impresive pan of Pleiones.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
Some more awards. The Midlothian Vase for the best rhododendron went to this contributor's Dora Amateis here seen with Derek Lockey, one of several visitors from the north of England. SdP also received  the Reid Rose Bowl for most  points  in the Open section due to  bringing  most  plants. The best plant in section two was a Trillium shown by local members Jeanne and Ewan Mason. Lynn Henderson  won the Boonslie Cup for the best mini garden; it is the one in the corner photographed before the prize cards were in place. The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh are busy  with their new alpine  house so attending fewer shows this year but they did  bring an exhibit to the Edinburgh show with their  usual high quality plants.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:15:27 PM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
a tour of the hall -first the window side with primula classes as well as the small six pans, large three pans and classes for plants raised from seed and new /difficult plants.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
now the middle bench which starts with cushion plants then ranuncs. then bulbs and some other  things.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
the second side of the middle bench mainly  more bulbs then various shrubs

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
now the end and wall sides of the  hall - starting with conifers in the corner, then foliage and succulent plants,  Lewisias and Drabas, plants from Scotland, plants from a named country, then plants recently lifted from open ground and the start of section 2.

Nate

• /afk
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Not sure if these will be entirely useful to people as I didn't get many pictures of the cards / names but I was one of the ones trying not to get in peoples way taking some closer pictures so I thought I'd share for those who couldn't get to Edinburgh.  There are a bit too many to put up here, so I've uploaded them to facebook - they can be found here for anyone who's interested  ;D  

I had a great day and even my other half, who usually runs a mile at the mention of 'there's a plant show nearby...' enjoyed the more unusual (for us!) plants on display. Plants I was particularly taken with included the Tropaeolum brachyceras in the new / hard to grow section and, of course, the stunning Ramonda nathaliae  :) Many thanks for a great show!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:30:21 AM by Nate »
Nate Kelso near Falkirk.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
From early on Saturday  volunteers are at work in the kitchen - home baking  is one of the great pleasures of these shows and  there are times when  sitting eating it  is the only thing to do. The last picture shows the SRGC treasurer   signing  a cheque while smiling - something treasurers rarely do when giving  out money  - while a past president looks on in anticipation.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
Some further random pictures from the show:

1. The stewards: Alan Thomson (Chief Steward) about to be karate chopped by Graham Wenham whilst Stan da Prate takes a break from staging/photographing plants

2. Show secretary Ian Bainbridge makes coffee for the judges whilst alternate judges Dr Dave Milward and Carol Shaw (also SRGc Secretary) wait patiently to be called.

3. Local group secretary Liz Cole (who also happens to be a photography instructor at RBGE) gets the expensive stuff out to take shots that will grace the the Rock Garden journal

4. Winning miniature garden

5. Deck the halls with primulas

6. Master grower Watt Russell titivating one of his specimens

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:54:32 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
The sales area was busy -at times crowded to the delight of the professional nurseries and of course Watt Russell and his helpers on the club stand

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
Finally some pictures of club members and visitors.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »
Many thanks Stan and Frazer, a most enjoyable Show.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:08:34 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
I've adapted the folowing information from the Spring newsletter of the local group.

The Edinburgh and Lothians Show 1962 and 2012

Fifty years ago there were eight shows in the SRGC showing calendar:
•   Penicuik (Saturday 10th March),
•   Dumfries (Friday 6th & Saturday 7th April) ,
•   Glasgow (Tuesday 10th & Wednesday 11th April),
•   Dundee (Wednesday 18th & Thursday 19th April),
•   Aberdeen (Thursday 3rd  & Friday 4th  May)
•   Edinburgh (Tuesday 8th & Wednesday 9th May),
•   Dunfermline (Friday 25th & Saturday 26th May) and
•   North Berwick (Thursday 6th September).

In Edinburgh and the Lothians we had three shows, Penicuik, Edinburgh and North Berwick. Penicuik has since been incorporated within the Edinburgh show. North Berwick, alas, has whithered.

Penicuik Show
This show was held at St Mungo’s Hall and formed part of the Annual Bulb Show of the Penicuik Horticultural and Industrial Society. The show was open from 1400-1700 hrs and admittance was 6d or free to members. Section I had 12 competitive classes which were open to all SRGC members. Section II also had 12 classes; however, entry was restricted to club member resident in Midlothian (not including the city of Edinburgh) and Peeblesshire. A non-competitive class for exhibition-only was open to all members. The competitor achieving the highest points in ether section was awarded the Midlothian Bowl (which is now awarded to the best plant in Section II at the current Edinburgh Show). The Midlothian Vase was awarded to the best plant in Section II (this is now awarded to the best rhododendron at the current Edinburgh Show). The show secretary was Dr Henry Tod.

Edinburgh Show
The show was preceded in the evening of 8 May 1962 by a lecture by Roy Elliot, the then editor of the AGS Bulletin, on “Rare Alpines and Rock plants”. Mr Elliot illustrated his talk with colour slides as well as using examples from the show bench. The show was held in the Music Hall, George Street, Edinburgh and was open to the public, in the midweek, from noon to 2100hrs on the 8th and 1000-1900 hrs on the 9th  May. And in the sign of the times, before the swinging sixties and the mass onset of cafeterias the notices inform that “Restaurant facilities will be available in the Supper Room of the Edinburgh suite”.

Section I had 66 classes, Section II 32 classes, Section III was for non-competitive exhibits including plants, photographs, sketches or paintings and Section IV (open to members at no charge and non-members for a fee of 6d per entry) had 6 classes for primroses, polyanthus, auriculas, cacti and succulents. The show secretary was Mr George Millar FRCS.

Many of the prizes will be familiar to current showers/members:
•   K.C. Corsar Challenge Trophy then given to Class 1 (6 pans) now to best European or American Primula
•   Elsie Harvey Memorial Trophy which was award then, as now, for Class 3
•   AO.Curle Trophy was awarded then, as now, for 3 pans of distinct species raised by the exhibitor
•   The  Boonslie Cup for a miniature garden (and continues to be awarded for this exhibit)
•   The Kilbryde cup then, as now, awarded for cut flower and foliage display
•   The Henry Archibald Rose Bowl then awarded for best three pans in Section II but now awarded to Class 2, three pans different genera, Section I

North Berwick Show
This late show was held, appropriately in the Sun Parlour, North Berwick. Admission was relatively expensive at 2/- (10 pence in today's coinage but with inflation, equivalent to £1.75) for adults and a shilling (5p) for children. Section I had 34 classes including Class 11 (1 pan Astilbe) and two classes for miniature gardens, one with a maximum outside length or diameter of 18 inches and the other of 9 inches or less. Section II had eleven classes, Section III contained three classes for paintings, photographs and cut flowers, and Class IV was for non-competitive exhibits. Mr Sanderson of Birnieknowes, Cocksburnpath was show secretary.

There were four awards:
•   The East Lothian Trophy for best Class 3 (3 pans, different genera)
•   The Peel Trophy for best Class 19 (3 pans gentians, distinct)
•   The Logan Home Trophy for best large miniature garden by an East Lothian or Berwickshire member
•   The Silver Cup for best plant in Section II
•   The Mary Bowe Memorial Trophy to the exhibitor with the most points in section I

The awards given in 1962 do not feature within the awards of the current Edinburgh Show and therefore one must presume that they have been lost in time.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal