We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocotrip in Turkey  (Read 14157 times)

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
Re: Crocotrip with Ibrahim
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »
  This black anthered biflorus was a very good find of day but not exactly my target. My target crocus should has yellow anthers!
The road was very bad with lots of big  holes were everywhere on ground. But at least the snow was just both sides of road so I could still drive to top. I decided to drive up as much as car can go. At mid day I was almost at the top my phone shows 1791m. Around still there were some small spot under old pine trees where snow was just melted. So my crocus has to be somewhere here! I just checked under the trees so they were waiting for me!
 It was very interesting biflorus. This time anthers were yellow rarely balck connective and with very good scent flowers. Out part of segments were very vary some have strips, somes without strips, and some have dark shades.
  Here are photos of my targest biflorus.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
It is very exciting to see these photos. Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

I.S.

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
  Maggi thank you very much for nice compliments.
  When my target was reached so there is no time for me to wait there. I have still half day so I decided to see locations of aff. atrospermus and sarichinarensis. I thought it will be very easy reach these targets because Janis said me exact point of habitations just two days ago. Than I start to drive non stop towards to Aytınyaka first stop was the İkizce yaylası. I spend 1 hours here but just I have found few antalyensis no where was aff. atrospermus than my second stop in the afternoon was sarıchinarensis but there also I couldn't find this crocus. Again return back to Antalya with quite disappointed. Just after dense torestier of Altınyaka on left side I have found a very good antalyensis location with very good striped, nice colored and with big quantite. But it was  late for make photos so I will leave you with best scene of my last biflorus habitation.
  It was realy great trip for me especialy with a crocus expert like Janis. I have learned lots of things from this trip...
  I wish all the best for all croconuts....
  ibrahim SOZEN

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
Janis and Ibrahim
Thank you for this extraordinary report.
Really amazing plants!!
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

ronm

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this. ;D ;D ;D
Thank you Janis and Ibrahim for sharing with us.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
thank you Janis and Ibrahim for sharing with us your exciting trip -much appreciated .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 06:45:39 AM »
Great trip! I wish I were there
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Yes, thank you for a very interesting account of your crocus hunting.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Johan Nilson

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Thank you Janis and Ibrahim for sharing this very interesting report.

It was a specially interesting reading for me since I visited the Antalya area about the same time you did (3-10 of Mars). I was also very surprised by the amount of snow we saw in the mountains. In some areas well over a meter. We also visited Gundogmus and Akseki where we came across some Crocus species. At Gundogmus we saw quite a lot of Iris stenophylla alisonii and also the same type of speckled Crocus chrysanthus you showed. We also saw what I think was Crocus antalyensis. In Akseki there was a lot of Crocus biflorus ssp. I think.

We also visited Termessos situated 30 km north west of Antalya. A very beautiful ancient city with fantastic ruins and a breathtaking amphitheater at the very edge of the cliff at 1000 meters altitude. Here we also found a Crocus species.

Maybe you could help me identifying some of the Crocus (I did not look at the corm tunics).

First from Gundogmus

Johan

Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Johan Nilson

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
The next batch of pictures are from Termessos.
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Johan Nilson

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
The following pictures are from around Akseki
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

I.S.

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
  Johan fantastic crocus photos :D
  That is very nice that you post them here so We can imagine what we have missed on this trip.  We have passed just near Akseki but We thought no worth to go that part because of Akseki was higher than Ibradı as you have seen the snow. But who knows! On our last day I have seen the crocus att 1750m.! .
  Your photos from Akseki 7-8 they are Crocus antalyensis. the rest Crocus biflorus subsp. isauricus.
  And from Termessos I am not very sure they are the exactly same like my first crocus on last day. They might be also subsp. isauricus just with black anthers.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
I agree with Ibrahim. Blue from Gundogmus - antalyensis, Akseki plant - isauricus. Termesos - difficult to judge here in airport of Athens. My screen here too small.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Johan Nilson

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
Thanks for your responses!

Crocus antalyensis & Crocus biflorus subsp. isauricus are both names that I have thought of. But I was not sure at all. Interesting with the big variation! Now I can attach correct names to the photos.

Thank You!
Johan

Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal