We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland 2012  (Read 12278 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Gardening Scotland 2012
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
Today we moved the SRGC stand - suitably packed down by Graham- from his garage to the Ingliston showground. The biggest single piece is the gravel stream bed which had to go on a car roof. Two cars took all the pieces in to a hall that was  cavern  like  in contrast  to the sun shine  outside. A plastic sheet went down first to make it easier to deal with all the compost at the end then the stream bed was put in place, followed by the boxes that will hold the plants. Graham had  produced a meticulous manual in case we forgot  where anything went - only two pages are shown of this work of art. Once the boxes were in place the black  edging board was added. Next  we put on another  tier of boxes for the ridge. Then  pieces of rock glued to foam backing sheets were put in place. Bags of river gravel  were put on the  stand ready for use when  the plants are added. Ian is doing a collecting  run in a hired van  tomorrow -Monday- and the rest of the plants  will arrive by Tuesday morning when planting will begin.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
Great set of pictures, Stan. Look forward to following the rest of the set up as the week goes on.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
By this evening  the van had delivered  plants from Ian Christie, Sandy Leven, Graeme Butler and Janet and Jim Paterson. We also have sempervivums donated by Frazer Henderson and Watt Russell to fill gaps in the rock work- some are sitting on the large bag of recycled compost. Some of my shrubs and conifers  are now there along with some dwarf maples and two orchids  from Alan Gardner. More plants  -and pictures - tomorrow.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Tremendous progress being made by the Team- already we can get a flavour... and not only of the amount of work involved!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carol Shaw

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
Great to watch it all coming together - I'm almost wishing we were going to be there again this year  :-\
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

astragalus

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
An amazing piece of work.  What a creative way to display.  Can't wait to see it finished.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
It's projects like this that make me hope that the wider membership realise how much work is done behind the scenes by so few to further the interests and aspirations of the Club as a whole and indeed alpine gardening as a whole. Many congratulations to all concerned.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »
This morning Liz arrived with some of her own plants and  some  fine show plants from Sam Sutherland, Graham  Catlow brought his display pots of Pleione and Pinguicula  then John Lee and Peggy Anderson brought  in Glasgow contributions including  some from Jackie Thomlinson followed by Neil McNulty with plants from Ayrshire including those from  George Watt and Sue Simpson. I brought  in some more as did Watt Russell. Lesley Scott  and Allan Elliot were soon placing pots on the stand while supposedly  more senior members offered encouragement from terra firma. Meanwhile the treasurer and Glasgow show secretary disappeared behind some staging allegedly to work on labels. Finally and in response to public request   an action shot of your photographer .
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:16:47 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
some snaps of the stand today - nearly all plants  and material in place including several typically pristine specimens from Cyril Lafong just back from holiday but labels to add tomorrow and final quality control
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:47:42 PM by Stan da Prato »

angie

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »
Looking good, can't wait to see it on Friday. Never really new that there was so much work went into the display. Well done everyone.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
Yes, the stand looks terrific already  8)

It is extraordinary how much effort is needed to mount such a display.
And all done, as with everything else in the SRGC, by volunteers. I've lost count of the number of medals, nearly all gold, that the SRGC has won over the years with Sandy and his Team beavering away..... this old article  tells about the seventh gold, and Best in Show, in 2003.... it's a long and glorious history that this year's gang have behind them. They've done a great job so far.... even without an orthopaedic surgeon to make their woodwork! ;D ;D

Report from 2003 : http://www.srgc.org.uk/feature/gold%20medal%202003/gold.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ronm

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
I'm very much reminded of Tomkinsons 1:1 ratio model of an 'Icebreaker' ;D

This appears to be a 1:1 scale rock garden  :o :o :o

Absolutely amazing, looking great, good luck to you all. I'm sure it will be muchly admired,  8) 8) 8)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Just catching up on what has been happening with the display. Stan has done a fantastic job of recording the process for the rest of us to enjoy/marvel at.
I would expect that more than one doughnut was required as fuel for the process. ;D
Hope all goes well this weekend, sorry I'm going to miss it; having just come back from Northern Scotland, I'm planning a weekend in the garden catching up.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
Looks magnificent ... congratulations to you all!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Sneaky Sneaky Stan. Not impressed with me looking glaikit.
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal