We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Grass specific "herbicide"?  (Read 6474 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Grass specific "herbicide"?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
That's it then.... back to the donkey work on hands and knees.......... :(

A donkey on its knees probably has footrot. :o Donkeys will eat anything just about, as do goats, including gorse and broom and Californian thistles. Pity they don't dig for the roots as well.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
That's it then.... back to the donkey work on hands and knees.......... :(

A donkey on its knees probably has footrot. :o Donkeys will eat anything just about, as do goats, including gorse and broom and Californian thistles. Pity they don't dig for the roots as well.
That's why people keep pigs  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
but yes, they do eat just about everything else.... not as much as a goat, but nearly!  :-X

When I was a small child, maybe about 5 years old, I owned 2 prs of black Fuji silk knickers. They were hung on the clothesline in the paddock, at my farming aunt's place and a donkey ate them totally. MY mother was furious and never forgave her sister for taking such poor care of my precious underwear. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
"RoundUp" was advertised as a grass killer, I think,  and is still available. (I thought it killed everything :-\
The latest RHS leaflet on Weedkillers for Gardeners is here :
http://www.rhs.org.uk/media/pdfs/advice/WeedkillersForGardeners

It kills (nearly) everything Of course you can use it around a shrub or tree since it is taken up by the leaves. To advertise it as a grass killer is like advertising sulfuric acid as a stain remover. "Apply it on he stain and you will never see the stain again"  ;D
It seems, however, that some mosses are not much affected perhaps because mosses have no true roots.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

arisaema

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »
Agil (propaquizafop) is available for farmers here in Norway, and apparently also in the UK: http://www.plantprotection.co.uk/HTML/Ingr/Ingr478.htm

ETA: ...and there's two more, clethodim and cycloxydim, the latter is also available in the UK: http://www.plantprotection.co.uk/HTML/Ingr/Ingr194.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:52:11 AM by arisaema »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
Roundup WILL kill everything, except clover, which is what I want it to kill, in the driveway. Gradually as other things are killed over time, the drive becomes more and more infested with clover. Clover killers in general are very toxic.

Roundup will damage trees if sprayed on the trunks, small trees at least. I have a Sorbus sargentiana with a trunk about 6" in diameter. Roundup was accidentally sprayed near the base of it and the new leaf growth above, when it duly appeared, was discoloured and distorted. and has never been really right in the 5 years since.

It kills moss and liverwort TEMPORARILY. Both then come back with a vengeance, healther and stronger than ever. When weed cover is destroyed by Roundup, as soon as the area is rained on or watered, moss takes over even if there was no moss there before.

Ezeiza

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
Lesley, any high nitrogen fertilizer will damage clover until it declines. The cheapest one will do, urea, for instance.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »
Really? I'll try that then. :D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
Is there such a thing available to the public in the UK? I have borders with grass ingress..also pots outside and so rock garden plants I've been trying to pull grass out of for years.
Be careful what you wish for, Mark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Grass
 ;D
And, yes, couch grass has to be our worst weed at the moment!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

bendgardener

• long winters and short summers
    • Bend Gardener
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »
If the grass is not overly established I have had good success with roundup applied with a sponge applicator like the ones used to hold dish washing soap.  Mix the Roundup as instructed on the label put it in the applicator and dab the grass blades. It takes patients but over time I have had good luck removing grass from beds. It is better than pulling the bed out and starting over.

Bob
Bob Crain

elevation 4750 feet in Central Oregon Cascades
zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal