We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus albiflos seed available  (Read 7144 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Haemanthus albiflos seed available
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
Howdy All,

I have Haemanthus albiflos seed maturing at the moment.  It is a white Haemanthus and is frost tender unlike H. coccineus, it's larger and hardier red brethren.  If you are interested in receiving seed of this please email or PM me or post here and I will see what I can do.  First preference will be given to people I have exchanged plants/seed with in the past, but I expect to have enough seed to share with a few people.  This offer is limited to posting members only, at least at this stage.  If I have enough to offer to lurkers who don't post I will let people know.

If any more details are needed please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

SueG

Re: Haemanthus albiflos seed available
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »
I'd love some- if there still are some available
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
Sue,

Shouldn't be a problem.  I have harvested the berries today, although not cleaned them as yet so I don't know for sure how many there are.  3 seedheads though so there should be well more than enough to get everyone started.  Four people have requested seed so far, so if anyone else is wanting any speak up please.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Paul, missed this thread while away at the Discussion weekend... any seed left for me, please?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »
Maggi,

Sorry, didn't respond to this at the time.  Yes, there should be plenty for you as well.  That's 5 who have expressed interest.  Still haven't cleaned up the seed, but it is harvested and inside so it shouldn't go anywhere.  I wouldn't have posted it until at least Monday anyway, so no harm done as yet.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »
Many thanks, Paul, will send my postal address.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 12:30:14 PM »
Yep, got it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:00:16 AM »
Just for info.... haven't sent these off as yet.  Will get into the mail first thing Monday hopefully.  Michael, I think I still need your address?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 11:36:26 AM »
Hi Paul,

I will send it right away :)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
Howdy again Peoples,

I've cleaned all the seed today, and I have heaps of it (some of the berries had up to 5 seeds within them, so the 3 heads ended up with quite a lot of seed!  ;)).  I'm assuming that around 12 to 15 seeds each is enough for people, so that is the amount I'm intending to send unless I hear otherwise.  If any of you want more than that amount let me know ASAP as I'll be sending them off tomorrow (currently 9:30pm here for reference).  The rest will be sent to the Australian Bulb Association for their ephemeral seedex.

By the time you receive the seeds they more than likely will already have germinated.  In the time since I harvested them to actually removing them from their berries many of the seeds had already started germinating, and all of them have the green radical already visible within the seed (the seed is a translucent white) of those that haven't actually germinated as yet.  Germination in transit is not a problem with these, as they will jsut produce a bulb even if there is no light or nourishment.  I've found this out in the past when I once lost a seed packet of these, and found them 3 months later happily germinated and with tiny little bulbs.

I'm hoping the fact that these are germinating in transit will not affect any of your quarantine conditions, but I'm hoping that Scotland, England and Portugal shouldn't have any problems?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 02:01:10 PM »
Paul in future when you are offering what obviously 'goodies' could you please also post a picture for us ignoramouses or should that be ignorami who don't know enough to recognise a 'goodie' from the name alone.

Shelagh
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

SueG

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Thanks Sue, it does look scrumptious but I'm not sure it would fit in our elastic sided greenhouse, we are bursting at the seams.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »
Sorry to have not posted a pic Sheila.

All bar one parcel went off yesterday .... 2 to England, 1 to Scotland (another pending and will now go on Monday most likely) and one to Portugal.  Hopefully all arrive safely sometime next week.

Just wanted to let you all know they're on their way.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »
Paul,
Seed safely arrived today, many thanks again.
Are there any special requirements for growing on?

Regards,
Mick
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal