We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epigaea repens_Mayflower  (Read 2823 times)

Natalia

Epigaea repens_Mayflower
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
Colleagues,
If you have experience of growing from seed Epigaea repens_Mayflower - I ask you to share the results.
  I got good germination and on turf, and on milled sphagnum moss, but can not find anything about future growth.
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Epigaea repens_Mayflower
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »
Natalia, I have grown a nice batch of seed from Kristl Walek in Canada. I sowed them on my regukar seed mix, onto grit and had excellent germination in cool conditions. I left them in the seed pots (2) until they were about .5 of a centimetre in height then very carefully separated them out into small pots in a humusy mixture, quite fine or the little seedlings would have been lost. I potted about 30 in this way which left about 30 too small to pot individually so I made up a pot of the same fine mixture and put the little ones in that until they had grown on somewhat. These too have now been potted individually and are growing slowly but surely. The first ones have done well in a cool area, kept damp at all times and I sold some at a recent event (NZ Trillium Group weekend), the plants about 4-5 centimetres across and witjh new branchlets thrusting out from the centres. They have presented no difficulties so far. I didn't date the seed label but I would guess they have taken perhaps two and a half years from sowing until being sellable.

Epigaea asiatica originally from the SRGC seed exchange, is equally amenable. I wish the same could be said for E. gaultherioides, but I've not had seedlings of that yet even though I was given some seed from a generous - EXTREMELY generous - forumist.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:55:37 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
I sold some at a recent event (NZ Trillium Group weekend), the plants about 4-5 centimetres across and witjh new branchlets thrusting out from the centres.

Epigaea asiatica originally from the SRGC seed exchange, is equally amenable.

Here's a pic of the E.repens and E.asiatica i was lucky enough to obtain as a swop from Lesley at the T.weekend .They are marked by the red lines .

I spent last weekend planting them and others up a double concrete wash tub.

I had obtained a number of small pumice pieces while down on the coast looking for Gunnera hamiltonii with Steve last week so decided to use them and rather than the usual stone/rock mulch,for a change topped it off with a few rotten branches ,twigs from the bush.

Last shot taken at dusk.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Natalia

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
Lesley, I sowed the seeds of the Crystal too - now they are about 1 cm in height. I thought I was closer to spring into individual pots raspikirovat at least some of the crops, and yet leave sown on the soil in the garden, and the peatmoss - put in the cold light place.

Leslie, judging by the photos of Chris - they are already very big, I'm in awe:)

Chris, congratulations on the great plants!
 As you well - spring already:) And round leaves in a tub - it Epigaea repens?
Natalia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
into individual pots raspikirovat
I think raspikirovat means "pricked out" ...... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Natalia

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
I am sorry - raspikirovat - means to seat young plants with the big interval or in individual pots. :-[
Natalia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:03:22 AM »

Leslie, judging by the photos of Chris - they are already very big, I'm in awe:)

Chris, congratulations on the great plants!
 As you well - spring already:) And round leaves in a tub - it Epigaea repens?

I presume you are meaning me Natalia  :)

The round leaves are of Sanguinaria canadensis pink form.
I've placed the Epigaea's behind the largest two pieces of pumice trying to give them a bit of shade.

Labelled pic is below.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Natalia

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
Dave, Sanguinaria canadensis leaves me not to mix with the leaves of other plants ever :D

Thanks for plant names:)

Natalia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal