We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus caspius  (Read 3963 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus caspius
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
My best C caspius are nearby to C. banaticus which definitely likes to be moist in summer. Both lots are where I have dwarf rhodos and similar things. I water the rhodos frequently through summer or they don't flower well.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
I have been trying to grow this from seed for about five years and each year I have sown a few seeds but my score to date is zero. Today  I counted 8 pots with a caspius label and not a sign. Has anyone had any success growing  this from seed and how did you do it? I have sown a couple of hundred pots of crocus seed using the deep sowing technique and over 90% have germinated  but this one has beaten me - or rather I may have beaten it. Help  :(

Just by way of an update  I just thought I would let know that this year 5 of about 10 of my pots of caspius seed  have germinated in the last month. Incredibly one of the pots is from 2007 which had been put into a  batch of old pots for disposal - a close call. It is amazing how long crocus seed can be viable for. Also I now have corms through the generosity of a forumist who  took pity on me and sent me a couple _THANK YOU.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:49:06 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm still waiting for C. caspius - sown in 2006 (JJA seed) - to even look as though they  might get to flowering size. They live all year round in an open plunge & I live in hope. Some corms I was given as C. caspius turned out to be C. hadriaticus
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
I'm still waiting for C. caspius - sown in 2006 (JJA seed) - to even look as though they  might get to flowering size. They live all year round in an open plunge & I live in hope. Some corms I was given as C. caspius turned out to be C. hadriaticus

Gerry once germinated I put all my crocus seedlings under cover as although I find seedlings tend to tougher than mature plant I give them all cover in a cold frame or the greenhouse. According to Mathew this plant from the Caspian area is a low level plant and as  the Caspian sea below sea level the plant can be found growing at very low altitude perhaps below sea level.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Ian - some 10 years ago when I had flowering size  C. caspius I found they did much better  outside. In fact I lost the lot when I left them under glass during the summer. I was ill at the time so they received no water.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
Here's some hope for you Ian!

I have raised C caspius from seed a few times over the years.  Given your record of success with so many other species I'm sure you'll crack it now you have germinations.  The plants seen below were from a 2007 sowing.  First flower in 2012 I think.  This is the first year they have made a display like this.  I keep mine dry in summer.  This year i tried Paul Cumbletons  idea of polystyrene covers over the pots during dormancy to guard against extreme heat.  Early yet but initial results suggest that this has improved things.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
I have raised C caspius from seed a few times over the years.  Given your record of success with so many other species I'm sure you'll crack it now you have germinations.  The plants seen below were from a 2007 sowing.  First flower in 2012 I think.  This is the first year they have made a display like this.  I keep mine dry in summer.  This year i tried Paul Cumbletons  idea of polystyrene covers over the pots during dormancy to guard against extreme heat.  Early yet but initial results suggest that this has improved things.

Stunning Tony ! Thanks for the idea with the cover , very interesting !
I have 4  seedlings that germinated in the autumn from previous year . Seed came from Gothenburg . They are outside now in a plunge .But I suppose I better put them frostfree when first frost arrives ?
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »

Lovely group Tony and thanks for that idea of covering the pots. I will give it a try it might work for some other species too though where I grow most of mine they are already in part shade due to my neighbours trees. 

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
Stunning Tony ! Thanks for the idea with the cover , very interesting !
I have 4  seedlings that germinated in the autumn from previous year . Seed came from Gothenburg . They are outside now in a plunge .But I suppose I better put them frostfree when first frost arrives ?
Frost Free?  Well mine are not!  It depends on how cold, how long for and especially how wet the soil is/roots are.  Mine are in a ground level cold frame, open sides but cover over the top.  They have been in the same frame since seed was sown so have come through all the hard winters of recent years.  Perhaps the cold would be more severe where you are so you might need to be more cautious?

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
Ian - some 10 years ago when I had flowering size  C. caspius I found they did much better  outside. In fact I lost the lot when I left them under glass during the summer. I was ill at the time so they received no water.

Gerry thanks your experience seems to fit with Tony's experience too. I tend to split my crocuses into three groups for summer cultivation i.e. those that like it dry, those that will tolerate moisture and those that don't like to be dry and may even like it cool in summer  such as pelistericus which I water fairly regularly. I know that there are other requirements such as dry and cool and these do not fit perfectly with this either but these are the broad groups I follow though hopefully  using a little intuition as necessary. So for the summer perhaps I should store them with cool but not dry brigade
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:26:45 AM by ian mcenery »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal