We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2012  (Read 46299 times)

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
Re: Hepatica 2012
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »
Spring is finally here. 21C today (-11C in the morning a week ago) and the first Hepatica flowers
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
Spring is finally here. 21C today (-11C in the morning a week ago) and the first Hepatica flowers

And a very nice soft colour that is, Razvan!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

wolfgang vorig

« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Hepatica nobilis
wolfgang vorig, sachsen, germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
What a wealth of splendid Hepatica's !!!

I have H. "Millstream Merlin" in flower right now !  :)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »
I was looking at Millstream Merlin today. It does not have stamens. Does anyone know if it will set seed if pollinated with something else?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
I was looking at Millstream Merlin today. It does not have stamens. Does anyone know if it will set seed if pollinated with something else?  

No it won't because Millstream Merlin is a hybrid between Hh acutiloba and transsilvanica.  Other "maiden" forms of pure species can set seed if pollinated from another plant.  There is some recent research which says that Hepatica acutiloba can be found in male and female forms.  I have a maiden form of pure H acutiloba whose flowers look very like Millstream Merlin but is a taller plant and has H acutiloba leaves, unlike Millstream Merlin which has inherited some characteristics from H transsilvanica leaves.  One theory is that a maiden form of H acutiloba is the mother of Millstream Merlin, pollinated with H transsilvanica.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the excellent info, Diane.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »
Anne,

I'd be daubing pollen on it anyway, just in case.  Sometimes nature finds a way.  ;D  Certainly not going to harm it trying, and if you get seed from it, brilliant.

I was always told that Anemone blanda 'Radar' was unable to set seed.  Mine did, after a number of years of trying each year.  I now have a seedling that almost matches it's mum.... which I am hoping will be longer lived than the original which I know very few people can keep going here in Australia at least. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
Already done, Paul. ;)

www.dryad-home.co.uk

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
Here is a small collection of the filled Hepatica nobilis that have come this year. As you can see they are different and there is pollen in all of them so of course I use them in my crosses and I hope there will come other color or forms.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
Here is a small collection of the filled Hepatica nobilis that have come this year. As you can see they are different and there is pollen in all of them so of course I use them in my crosses and I hope there will come other color or forms.

Wonderful, Karl!! Looking forward to seeing some new forms in a couple of years!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
A wonderful deep colour, too.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:58 AM »
Wow, that is a rather lovely windowsill collection.  ;D

My one and only double Hep didn't make it unfortunately.  I was actually down visiting the lovely person who gave it to me at the time that the snails or something consumed every leaf it had.  It had flowered the previous year, done quite well for me and looked like it was producing a second crown, but losing every leaf on it in spring just stopped it completely and it never produced another leaf, just withering away.  I was mortified.  It was a double pink, and I was pleased as punch to have it.  I would have thought it would survive being defoliated once, but apparently not.  :'(  The doubles are so incredibly rare here, which I think is why whatever beastie that attacked it chose that particular plant and ignored all the others.  Whether it was bird, snails or mice I don't know. :o  I've never had the heart to tell the person who gave it to me, but I am guessing that he'll know now after reading this. ;)  I feel like it was such a waste, and like I've let him down by failing with it. :'(

Now I am waiting and hoping for germination in seed pots from seed sown last year from parents with the double genes.  Fingers and everything crossed for that. ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:01:55 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Loripep

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
Hello everyone;

I've started my own hepatica collections (pics to follow soon I hope) but it's very tough to source out plants/seeds.

Can anyone suggest a source to obtain material directly from Japan? How about any of Severin Schlyter's crosses.

I have one source in Canada for the filled japonicas but they have limited stock.

Thanks everyone,

Lori
Lori in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
Hello everyone;

I've started my own hepatica collections (pics to follow soon I hope) but it's very tough to source out plants/seeds.

Can anyone suggest a source to obtain material directly from Japan? How about any of Severin Schlyter's crosses.

I have one source in Canada for the filled japonicas but they have limited stock.

Thanks everyone,

Lori

Lori, so far, the only Japanese site I know of that sells Hepatica seeds is http://www.yukiwarisouen.jp/index.htm. I got their seed list several years ago but I haven't ordered from them yet... I remember that their seeds are from crosses of well-known Hepaticas. They said that the seeds will be ready around mid-May. You might want to contact them as to how you could place an order. The site is all in Japanese, however...
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal