We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primulas 2012  (Read 57297 times)

Mark Griffiths

Re: Primulas 2012
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
The allionii season is stating here now after going into suspended animation for 2 weeks.

The plants, P. allionii Elizabeth Burrow, P. allionii Malcolm, P. allionii Pinkie.   

The Malcolm is smaller than last year. Last year it was a perfect dome of flowers - but underneath it must have been sweating as I lost a fair amount of the plant. You can also see the green sulphur powder not yet covered up by flowers or new growth.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:19:56 AM by Mark Griffiths »
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Very nice Mark. Takes me back to the days when I struggled to grow them and I really miss them now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
Why? David. What happened? ???

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
Ran out of space Ron and something had to go. Mind you I've run out of space at least twice more since those days ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
Would you like some?   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
Ron, that's very kind but I really couldn't do them justice. I've reached saturation point and I think I shall have some hard choices to make during next summer. For example, and these are really rhetorical questions, should I continue with the range of Romulea I grow given that they exist on the lower level of my staging and not the best place to flower. Or should I grow far fewer Narcissi and Crocuses to make room for Romuleas in a better position. Should I stop growing Cyclamen under glass. Should I stop growing Junos under glass. Should I stop growing Irises under glass. When I eventually get round to adding another small greenhouse will I fill it with the hundreds of pots of seedling bulbs that are sheltered in all sorts of places round the garden or will I stop growing from seed and carry on with some of my other choices.

Such is the life of a gardener ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ronm

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
Choices, choices. ??? ??? ???
Whatever you decide I think that growing from seed is the ultimate. Yes, not immediate satisfaction >:(, not a lot of recognition here for a few years of care, :-\, sleepless nights as to whether they will see next year,  :'(, but ultimate satisfaction when they flower and you are the first person in the history of the world to see that genetic expression, ;). If you change your mind I have some you can have.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
I've reached saturation point. Such is the life of a gardener ::)

It's the weather in Devon. Every time it rains again Mrs N has to squeeze him out. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
Ran out of space Ron and something had to go. Mind you I've run out of space at least twice more since those days ;D

Would you like some?   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I thought you were offering David some space! ::)
Very generous indeed! ;D
It's too hot and dry for these sorts of primulas where I live so it's nice to see the pics on the Forum.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
You know I was thinking I had too many plants.

Then I realised the massive error in my thinking.

Of course, I too have too little space.

I'm currently looking into the idea of using higher dimensions to put the frames in. My other idea is "inflatable spaces". it just needs a little more work. I'm close to a breakthrough.

Oxford, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
When you've cracked it Mark do let me know how ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
You know I was thinking I had too many plants.

Then I realised the massive error in my thinking.

Of course, I too have too little space.

I'm currently looking into the idea of using higher dimensions to put the frames in. My other idea is "inflatable spaces". it just needs a little more work. I'm close to a breakthrough.

I've been waiting for the 4th dimension for years.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Avoid the 5th dimension. That's where the vine weevils came from.

Pic of what I think must be an allionii hybrid. Many years ago I'd find seed pots on allionii Mary Berry - I tried them and got a number of hybrids. This one has yellow in the throat making me think it is a hybrid. I think I was growing one of the Lismore hybrids at the time. This one has a sorted of old velvet faded quality to it.

Oxford, UK

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »
Blooming in my greenhouse now.  All grown from seed, the Primula bracteata dubernardiana from last year's SRGC seed exchange.

Marianne

Primula bracteata dubernardiana
P. megaseifolia
P. x kewensis
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:00:33 PM by Maggi Young »
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »
An early start for these, Marianne.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal