We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 24532 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: December in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
Hi Paul,

Just a thought.
Given the huge interest Maggi seems to have in seeing your photo appear...  Do you look like Clarke Gable or Robert Redford ??  Or would Brad Pitt be more like it ???  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »
Hmmm... maybe more like Toquemada (I think that is the spelling)..... the Hunchback of Notredame!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 12:27:13 PM »
Well.... did you not see the wonderful photos of Martin B? He is like a film star... I was hoping Paul was the same! After all, hope costs nothing!!
Cheers,
Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueG

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »
Hi Paul
Love the pictures - a real touch of colour and sunshine on a dark and chilly night here. The cactus flowers are amazing.
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Alberto

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »
Hi Paul, as a friend of mine, Hans, told me I mispelled the name. The correct is Trichocereus, now lumped in Echinopsis.
Ciao
Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 10:45:49 PM »
Just 3 today as the weather is unsympathetic to the taking of pictures. More strong, gusty winds and rain threatening.

I'm going to try Paul's method of attaching big pics as they really are nicer but I promise to revert to thumbnails in future, except perhaps for something special.

Daphne oleoides grows in a trough with no feeding and no water except for a little rain. It still flowers well and the fruit which follow are bright orange.
1066-0

Another pic of Weldenia candida, a victim of the weather
1068-1

This gorgeous flower is the first on a small batch of seedlings of Nomocharis forrestii, grown from Marcus Harvey's seed and sown in mid 2003. Needless-to-say, all that pollen has been transferred to the stigma
1070-2

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 12:19:29 AM »
Lesley,

Beautiful!!  I prefer to large pics myself.... more like we used to have!! :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:58:01 AM »
Great pix Lesley !
I love your Weldenia - not very common out here.
Thanks
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:03 PM »
Hi, Everyone,  great to see all the happy activity in the forum and wonderful photos from around the  world.... do you feel a "but" in the offing? Well, you're right! I am going to ask you to keep your picture posts as the thumbnail versions, to be kind to those on dial-up interent connections. Remember, the actual photos can be clicked on to open full size, which is very quick AND, since file sizes can be bigger in the new forum, them you can show us larger pix if you wish. I have to say that I still think that a photo about 800 x 600 pixels is an ample size for viewing on the average screen... but it's up to you. The point with the thumbnails is that it makes things simpler for everyone... I will just remind everyone again that the small pictures can be clicked on to see them in all their glory : unless, of course, they were submitted as tiny ones in the first place!! Exception to this is our ID photos, they stay small... perhaps that's a blessing!
Cheers,
Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 07:52:19 PM »
Just a line to support what Maggi said about the problems Members with dial-up connections have with large pictures. I have recently moved to a Broadband connection and I can't tell you how much this has added to my enjoyment of the Forum. With my old dial-up connection I had to give up viewing those busy threads with lots of pictures as they simply took an age to download. So please do have some sympathy with those who don't have access, for whatever reason, to a speedy connection. 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »
Fair enough.  The big difference now of course is that the old threads used to have to load every picture in that thread..... now you only have to load a page at a time, and it starts on the page you were up to last time you visited, so you would NEVER have to load as much now as you used to do.  That is why I thought it didn't matter as much now as before.  E.g.  if you had 50 pics in the old thread you would have to load every one of them, now just the ones on the current page.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:26 PM »
Yes Maggi, I'll do thumbnails in future, as promised. Oddly though - and I only have dial-up - I find downloading the bigger pics very quick while clicking to enlarge the thumbs is quite slow. This isn't a complaint, just an observation but then, some weird things are happening here on my box. See "Let me introduce myself..." Life's rich tapestry and all that.
Yup, lesley, I know what you mean! M
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:13:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 03:11:57 AM »
I repotted my Dicentra peregrina earlier in the year*.This has resulted of course in a healthier looking plant with plenty of blooms to come although it still tends to elongate a bit.I was pleasantly surprised at that time *to see a seedling ,(cotyledon leaf),appear near the rim of the pot. 

I'm also growing Rupicapnos africana in a pot beside the dicentra.
As they are both from the family papaveraceae there are some similarities.

A couple of Lilium sps.  L.szovitsianum --L. pyrenaicum,followed by a plant which is endemic to an area about 80 ks. north of here.Celmisia spedenii.

Finally my wife and i spent most of last week up at the frost free top end of the West Coast of NZ visiting our youngest daughter.No individual plant pics --mainly scenery shots if anyone is interested ?.

Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:40:59 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
Dave I'm sure I don't only speak for myself if I say:
Please show us all your scenery shots from the Westcoast!!!!

Yes, indeed, please, Dave. Maggi
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:47:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »
Only just caught up with this thread. Nice to see Paul posting pictures of his great plants but he's being very stubborn about showing himself and pooch. I'm sure the stereotype one posted by Maggi must be right, just like hers, wearing the old kilt and sporren under the kag.You can use a soft filter to avoid scaring us or is it to prevent the ladies swooning. ;) Lovely pics also from Dave and Lesley.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal