We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Petunia patagonica  (Read 7230 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Petunia patagonica
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
It's just cruel when you should be out weeding to be tantalised by all these amazing images on Cliff's link! Some of these cushion species are astonishing and presumably of a very great age.
Cliff's not as old as he looks.     OH! You meant the plants......      :o   Yes, I'm sure they are. 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

peter hood

• Was it better without the picture?!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
I have a plant I bought from Robin White last year - not perhaps the most useful information.
I understand from those who grow it that it is a bit erratic in flowering - but at least two plants flowered well last year; The one at East Anglia (George Young) was odd because it did not have the purple veining. Robin Pickering also had a nice flowering plant.
Peter Hood, from North East England

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
Here are some pictures from the Santa Cruz Province in December 2011. It is very different how much Petunia patagonica flower every year. There were not many in bloom this season but we found a few. 

Stunning pictures Kirsten !  :o
We did see this plant in the wild in Patagonie  during our trip with Ger in 2008 .What a great cushion plant , they where in ful flower .I never forget this sight and from this moment on I dream of flowering Petunia patagonica in my collection ....In 2010 I obtained a nice plant of Petunia patagonica from a German nurseryman.
This plant grows very well and even stays compact. But it never flower since then ... I think it is large enough to flower ? So I suppose it is quite difficult to get it in flower under our conditions here  ....But we keep trying ...Since previous year I have another smal one from another friend and I hope to get it in flower some time ...
But I never get the opportunity to buy seeds . During our trip in Patagonie I did harvest some seeds but  they never germinated here ...Maybe the seeds where to old ? 
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
If you find any please let me know too!!!

Bryan, here is an update: I got a reply from a seed company in Chile, and the gentleman I heard from said that he doesn't carry that species, and that in fact this plant is not a Chilean species...? I was a bit confused by this. Maybe it's from the Argentinian side of Patagonia?

I'm not in a hurry at all, so if anyone happened to hear in the future about other places where this seed might be available, please let me know!
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
I just remembered I was suppose to call one on the speakers from the last winter study weekend as she was going to send me a cutting from hers. Maybe I will be able to send you seed if I get one to flower...

Bryan
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:40 AM »
Bryan, that is very kind of you!

I believe that some folks from my chapter went to the winter weekend last year; this year is our turn to host, are you planning on coming?
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 04:38:48 AM »
Sadly I don't think I will be able to make it  :'( last year was great because it was right here in town, but sadly I don think I can get the time off to travel this time. Oh well, buy lots of plants for me!!

B
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal