We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012  (Read 60959 times)

arillady

Re: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Thanks Oron for the cultural practices you use for I. edomensis and the native habitat photos - that is essential information.
Hans you have some brilliant plants - did you grow from seed or start from bulbs/rhizomes?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
Herewith a nice form of Iris persica, here in Belgium the first juno of the year. Never so early!
Hendrik

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Herewith a nice form of Iris persica, here in Belgium the first juno of the year. Never so early!
Hendrik

Very good, Rik!
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »
Hendrik

Very good, Rik!
Janis

Thank you very much Janis for your comment.
I hope you will forgive me that I post the first picture of the "Juno species nova" from your brand new catalogue because it's more than a beauty!
Those who want his catalogue 2012 on-line, just send Janis an email: janis.bulb@hawk.lv
Hendrik

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
Thank you, Rik. This juno is real beauty, but I have only very few... :(
Janis

PeterT

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
Is this the Iris "aff Nusariensis" which was in Jim Archibald's seed list three years ago?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
What fantastic irises and my grateful thanks to those showing them. Most of those above we will never see in New Zealand or even at all!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
I'm sure you could grow most of them Lesley, almost all species are on your permitted seed list; all it takes is seeds, luck and a lot of patience, - the same as for the rest of us.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
Not parvula nor edomensis though! Actually, quite a few seem to have been added since I last looked and I need to look up the conditions but it seems maybe irises (dormant bulbs) don't have to be quarantined now. Level 2 before, now Level 1 which means I could bring in some histrio aintabensis and some others from Marcus. We'll see.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
It took me six years to obtain a bulb of parvula Lesley, and I still have only one clone. It took seven years before I was given some seeds of it by a very kind friend, (they have yet to be germinated). All other seeds that ever grew which were labled parvula were either vicaria or something similar. As for histrio aint, seeds of it are quite available if rarely.

I have been growing junos for nearly 40 years- since I was a toddler, edomensis is a holy grail unless you happen to live in its native home.
Good luck with importing bulbs, but remember we all have to work hard to cultivate rare plants, not just those of you in New Zealand. They are rare in cultivation for a reason -either hard to obtain or hard to grow, and usually both.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »
Of course I realize all this Peter, and you, yourself have been very generous to me with iris seed. I wish I could reciprocate. My comments were rueful rather than anything else.

It was especially good to see I. edomensis with Oron because previously I had thought the only person ever to cultivate it successfully was Tony Hall. I don't aspire to joint that august and highly skilled company, only to look and admire. You mustn't condemn me for dreaming though. :)

PeterT

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
One of the most difficult species to grow ( my opinion  ;) ) is flowering now: Iris edomensis, a bit early too but we have a warm and humid weather at the moment. This species doesn't like water at all at the end of growing cycle, and need dry rest period for the all summer.
Credit where it is due, Fred posted this.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
Fred's plant is superb on page 23 but so is Oron's on page 20. Credit to both gentlemen surely, and their superb skills. I was also carried away by the incredibly harsh landscape Oron showed, the home of I. edomensis. The mature plant seems to be holding a seed pod rather than a bud. Good news for the future of this stunning bulb in its habitat.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:34:54 AM by Lesley Cox »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 06:38:25 AM »
Is this the Iris "aff Nusariensis" which was in Jim Archibald's seed list three years ago?
Yes.
Janis

PeterT

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Thankyou Janis, they are growing  :D,

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal