We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - Ebay digression 2012  (Read 62670 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus - Ebay digression 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
'Wanbleburt Ring'  =  great name   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I wonder who found it?..... 

According to goodle images - this is a picture of 'Bert Womble'   ;D  Could it be him?.... 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Folks, I have have moved these posts to their own thread.

In the past these threads about Ebay have become rather heated : I would hope that this will not happen again.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:17:28 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »
Folks, I have have moved these posts to their own thread.

In the past these threads about Ebay have become rather heated : I would hope that this will not happen again.

Hi Maggi

I think it is a great idea to start a separate ""ebay"" thread  8)
(Personally, I could even be tempted to put the words 'ebay 2012' in the title so anyone reading knows where to post personal ebay thoughts)....

It is great for everyone to have a place for any 'friendly' discussion and peoples 'personal thoughts' about any ebay listings that might attract an individuals interest.....   ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:19:05 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
I'll happily remove my post if you're worried about starting trouble, Maggi. I just always feel concerned, when ebay snowdrop offerings appear that look problematic to more "expert" eyes, that it would be wrong not to say something. But I understand that it causes you concern.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:45:28 PM by Martin Baxendale »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Martin, I don't think there is any problem with what you wrote.

I was merely making a pre-emptive comment since in the past the subject of Ebay has created a lot of bad feeling....so it was just a general hope for good behaviour.

I have been told by some people that they do not feel they have the time or inclination to behave politely, but I feel that it  is quite essential in the forum to refrain from rudeness.

Surely any subject can be the subject of discussion while maintaining some standard of common courtesy ?

Edit : So, no need to call anyone names just because the price isn't what you like, eh?!!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:04:03 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
thread re-titled

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
Martin, I don't think there is any problem with what you wrote.

I was merely making a pre-emptive comment since in the past the subject of Ebay has created a lot of bad feeling....so it was just a general hope for good behaviour.

I have been told by some people that they do not feel they have the time or inclination to behave politely, but I feel that it  is quite essential in the forum to refrain from rudeness.

Surely any subject can be the subject of discussion while maintaining some standard of common courtesy ?

Edit : So, no need to call anyone names just because the price isn't what you like, eh?!!

Okey dokey.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
According to google images - this is a picture of 'Bert Womble'   ;D  Could it be him?....  

I thought the Wombles all had geographical names like Bulgaria and Orinoco (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles).  "Bert" hardly seems in keeping.

The seller of "Wanbleburt Ring", "chinaboyz", seems to have built-up an eBay reputation selling china and has now diversified into snowdrops of his own invention.  It's scarily reminiscent of toy-seller "alancirrus" (still going strong on eBay) from a few years ago.  The moral is that when you buy on eBay and you read the seller's % positive feedback, it's very important to find out what they have been selling to achieve that positive feedback.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:39:59 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
I have bought successfully on EBay and will probably do so in the future.

Just like an ordinary auction you should research the seller, set a price and stick to it.

Of course it is better to establish friends who grow a wide range of snowdrops and are willing to swap, and some who are generous in giving you plants to enhance your collection. 

Remember if you have 3 plants - keep one, give one away and swap the third.  When your plant dies you have 2 chances to get it back  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
I've bought successfully on ebay too, Arthur. Some excellent snowdrops can be had from there if, as you say, you're sure that you're dealing with someone reliable and honest. The nerve of some supposed snowdrop sellers though really is hard to believe. Sometimes you only have to take one look at their ads to realise that they don't know the first thing about snowdrops and can't possibly be really offering what they say they have. The more worrying ones are those that are clever enough to sound just plausible enough to catch out the unwary and the less expert.

GoodGrief

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »
Some excellent snowdrops can be had from there if, as you say, you're sure that you're dealing with someone reliable and honest. The nerve of some supposed snowdrop sellers though really is hard to believe.

My lesson from last year (falling for the Elizabeth Harrison fakes) is... if it sounds too good to be true then it is most probably is too good to be true.

Buy from someone you already know and trust.

Don't expect any satisfaction from ebay (which I didn't) over dispute resolution... they were utterly useless.

Malcolm.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
I think the eBay dispute resolution process can work, but only if you push very hard indeed.  It might help to liken a fake snowdrop (a concept eBay do not understand) to a fake autograph (a concept eBay do understand).  In both cases a naive purchaser might not spot the fake but an expert would.  In the case of 'Elizabeth Harrison' I'm not sure if anyone except Ian Christie has possession of it.   
Almost in Scotland.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
I've had some very good experiences buying snowdrops on Ebay, and one very bad experience which remains unresolved, despite the repeated promises to refund, this never happened.  The ebay dispute process (very successful for me in a non-plant case) is limited by the time element which was no use in this instance.  On the whole, I think Ebay is a brilliant organisation, but for plant buying, you need to be extra careful.     
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal