We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium 2012  (Read 20198 times)

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
 Rick,
You are right, the bulb should be on the right with the stem traveling out before it puts up its stem.
Tony, you are lucky the bulb stayed in the pot! It would be better in good fertile ground otherwise all you will get is lots of small bulbs producing leaves instead of flowers. Each of the small bulbs next year will produce stolons as well. A good covering of  mulch will create ideal conditions for it to run. Some times it can be hard to get it to flower it just produces many leaves, it can depend on the clone but if you have grown from seed it probably has a better chance.

Winwen,
I have not seen L. semperivoideum around here for a while, I don't know if anyone managed to get it going from seed. All the ones I saw were from original imported stock. You really need it to be growing from seed before it will stay in cultivation.

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
Rick both you and Susan are correct,my apologies it is on the right.

Susan there is no chance of it growing outside.I have wet heavy clay and in the last month alone the garden has twice been under water. I have flowered this species in a large pot in the past with no problems.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal