We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Degenia Velebitica, Gentiana kolakovskyi, ?Acantholinum venustum?  (Read 2699 times)

Scoobysue

Degenia Velebitica, Gentiana kolakovskyi, ?Acantholinum venustum?
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:55:06 AM »
HI I've been given the above 3 plants and as newbie to alpines was wandering if anyone could give me some tips on how to look after them, whether or not they are suitable for planting outside in a crevice garden (I finished constructing one in June) or are they alpine house plants.  I'm particularly concerned about the Gentian as I may have over watered it and now it appears to be dying!!

I'm not 100% sure of the spelling of the Acantholinum ?vemustum? as the writing is a bit unclear on the label.

any advice would be greatfully appreciated as I really don't want to loose these plants...

Many many thanks in advance

Sue
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:18:36 PM by Maggi Young »

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Degenia Velebitica, Gentiana kolakovskyi, ?Acantholinum venustum?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:02:25 AM »
Hi Sue

Welcome to the friendly forum!  I cannot comment about growing two of your new plants but here is my twopennywoth on the other one.

Degenia velebitica grows outside on a raised bed here in full sun.  It flowered well, set seed and now appears healthy so I am hopeful of a repeat performance next year.  It does look a bit straggly though and perhaps will be best raised from seed every couple of years.

It does sound like the gentian is unhappy ... I think you other plant is Acantholinum venustum
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:18:53 PM by Maggi Young »

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
Sue,
It would help us greatly to know WHERE you are. Plants that can be grown outside in some places will not make it in others.

Here in New York they would all be fine outside...the Acantholimon requiring a fairly dry spot.

If you truly think the gentian has been overwatered and  it's not already too far gone, just carefully unpot it and pot it again in the same pot--into dry medium. It shouldn't hurt it any more than it already has been and you'll be able to water more carefully. You might be able to bring it back.

Carlo
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:19:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Scoobysue

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
HI

Sorry I'm based in Gloucestershire in the UK so mild - but then again can be very wet (July Floods!!!)

Cheers
Sue
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:19:26 PM by Maggi Young »

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »
Well Sue, given your location, you have certainly wandered into the right place to get help. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of forum participants from the UK and many of them will be chock full of advice for you. Maggi must be asleep or she'd have already chimed in.

Just keep asking questions,  and you'll keep getting answers...it's amazing how that works! (and don't forget to go back into the archives. There's a wealth of information there just waiting for you.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:19:40 PM by Maggi Young »
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »
Hi Sue - another welcome to the forum !

I have no experience with the Gentian.
Degenia grows here in full sun - dryish in Winter (a small glass pane during the wettest months - and it self seeds nicely. (If you would want some - I have some seed left).

Acantholimon grows very well on well drained south facing little slope.

Best of luck with them

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal