We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife January 2012  (Read 7352 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Wildlife January 2012
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »
Some amazing wildlife pics. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
Yes, I agree! They are really good! The pictures are taken quite a bit north of my place where there are more eagles, but it is not uncommon to see them here either. The most I have seen at the same time here is 5. But some years ago when I visited northern Norway I counted 15 eagles at the same place and that without bait. The lady who pictured these birds tells she counted 23 at the same time.

We have a really good on-line reporting system for birds here. I wondered what the largest observed flocks of White-tailed Eagles (Havørn) would be, so I looked it up. Within a minute I was able to generate this numerical list of the highest numbers of White-tails in Norway. The biggest "flock" was over 48 birds (estimated to 50)! Just imagine there being too many Eagles to count accurately! My personal record is also about 15 seen from a boattrip on the seabird island Runde.

Some of the biggest flocks you will see have been observed on the island of Smøla where a controversial wind farm has been built and many birds have sadly been killed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:28:18 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
Pine grosbeaks are a winter bird here, arriving in December and leaving in late February, and we have had an extraordinary number of them this year, gobbling up sunflower seeds at our feeders. I decided to have a go at getting them to come to my hand, not something I would ordinarily do, but we have had a mild January so I could stand still for a while with hand outstretched without fear of being frozen solid. Success !
These pictures were taken last weekend.  Since then they are getting braver, approaching me for a handout even when I am away from the feeders.
Sharon

Beyond exciting to have these wildlings come to you, Sharon. And what superb photos (tho' I expect nothing less from the Illingworths!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »
Lovely pictures of the Grosbeaks, and it's good to see wildlife that can be so trusting.
They must know that they are (literally) in good hands.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »
Very nice Grosbeaks.

Bob Gordon over here used to have an assortment of birds follow him around his large garden. The tamest were Blue tits, Parus caerulea, Great tits, Parus major, and Chaffinches. Fringilla coelebs. The latter would flutter in front of his face if he didnt feed them. He alsways had seeds in his pockets. He doesnt have any tame ones these das
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
A gull that should be on the Pacific coast of North America is here in N Ireland. How do those guys in to gulls know how to tell the 1st winter, 2nd winter and 3rd winter juveniles apart. Handy enough this one is darker than the rest.
[youtube]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thayer's_Gull[/youtube]
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal