We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris attacked  (Read 3608 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Iris attacked
« on: September 18, 2007, 11:55:17 PM »
I notced what from a distance looked like a rust on the leaves of Iris suaveolens.  Close inspection revealed critters.

What are they please? ... (dont just say little caterpillars!)  They are very tiny, perhaps 2mm long.

I can squash them but the leasions on the leaves look nasty, should I remove all the foliage?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Iris attacked
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:01 AM »
This is a bearded iris Tony? Sorry I can't help with ID. I've never seen anything like these but given that it's near the end of your growing season for such irises and leaves will be dying back, I'd take a punt and cut them hard back below any sign of the cats or lesions, and BURN the stuff please. Then spray with a systemic insecticide in case there are more lurking in the ground or elsewhere and keep a close eye. I'd give another spray as soon as there's any sign of new growth in the spring as well. Looks nasty!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »
It could be Iris leaf borer damage, though that sould more likely be earlier in the year. I know that this pest ( a moth0 lays eggs on the leaves which then suffer this kind of damage..but the only pix I can find of the 'bugs' show a much larger ( up to 2 inches, 5cms) caterpillar which is not so dark pink as these little guys you have....kill and burn I think, only remedy.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »
I would suggest a sawfly larva. Perhaps Tenthredinidae? Solomon's Seal has a similar pest, but these larvae are black.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:42 PM »
Tony's critters are much smaller than the solomans seal sawfly caterpillars, though, aren't they, and they look more squishy and less LIKE caterpillars... Yuck. Hungry little pests, though.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »
I still think sawfly. The larvae in this group are often referred to as 'slugs', such as the 'Pear Slug' (Caliroa cerasi). They are not long after hatching, as the little incisions in the leaf indicate - perhaps made by the female's 'saw'.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:11:13 PM by adarby »

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
I would suggest a sawfly larva. Perhaps Tenthredinidae? Solomon's Seal has a similar pest, but these larvae are black.

When googling for ' Iris-Blattwespen ' (= Iris sawflies) I came along
Rhadinoceraea micans - Tenthredinidae. There are pics for identification.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »
That species has big grey larvae Gerd. Haven't been able to find pics of small larvae.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »
That species has big grey larvae Gerd. Haven't been able to find pics of small larvae.

Anthony, me too. This was the reason that I am somewhat reluctant.
So Tony let them grow larger. If you squash them you'll never know what is feeding on your plants.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
Ah - too late.  All infected leaves removed.  The rhizomes look strong and healthy so hopefully there will be strong new growth and flowers in spring.  They are special forms - I'll post pics if all goes well.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

RolloP

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
The photo of the Iris leaf and orange maggots is fascinating. The two are not related. The dark lesions on the leaf are rust pustules, probably causes by Puccinia iridis, and the maggots are the larvae of a dipterous aphid predator, probably Aphidoletes aphidimyza. I suspect the the larvae are selectively grazing the Puccinia pustules as a source of food in the absence of their preferred prey. I have seen this before with an other Puccinia sp.on Chysanthemum where an outbreak of Chrysanthemum White Rust was curtailed by slugs selectively grazing the fungus and prevented further spread of the infection.
 Call me a sado, but a brilliant picture !

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
Hello, Rollo, a very warm welcome to you!
Great to have this information put forward here.
I have seen this before with an other Puccinia sp.on Chysanthemum where an outbreak of Chrysanthemum White Rust was curtailed by slugs selectively grazing the fungus and prevented further spread of the infection.
Fascinating to hear of a case where a pest can actually be a helper, too..... this was news to me.
Thank you for your input... I hope there will be more.... :D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »
Hello, Rollo, a very warm welcome to you!
Great to have this information put forward here.
I have seen this before with an other Puccinia sp.on Chysanthemum where an outbreak of Chrysanthemum White Rust was curtailed by slugs selectively grazing the fungus and prevented further spread of the infection.
Fascinating to hear of a case where a pest can actually be a helper, too..... this was news to me.
Thank you for your input... I hope there will be more.... :D

A warm welcome from me too Rollo. I agree about the picture. All natural things - even if not nice - are fascinating to me.  A great pity that probably slugs can't be trained to act in a similar way to many other nasties. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
Welcome and Thanks Rollo
The leaves are now growing again and there are still signs of the rust on some leaves. 
I like the sound of a predator for my aphid collection  ;) I will keep an eye out for them and make sure they find their way into my greenhouse!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal