We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen mites  (Read 3604 times)

Michael

Cyclamen mites
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
Any eficcient cure fot those pests?  They killed my african violets and weakened my other gesneriads in general... They also attack many other kinds of plants :'(
I am afraid of growing Cyclamen, because they say it's the plant who is more prone of being attacked...
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen mites
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
Mike, there are biological controls, which, if you could source them, would probaly work well with high humidity in your conditions, or, to start with, why not try immersing infested plants (pot and all) into water heated to 43° C for 15 minutes -  kills cyclamen mites without harming most plants.
There are chemical remedies which are difficult to find and  highly toxic. It's a tough problem.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
Thanks! I will try that one! And about those chemicals, what are they called? I have tried few kinds of insecticide with no luck.
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:44 PM »
I think those miticides made with oil are best for cyclamen mites, but I do not know the names... Brand names in the UK would be different, anyway and I'm not sure of the chemical components. Try a "miticide" search on Google.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:32:27 PM »

Thanks! I will try that one! And about those chemicals, what are they called? I have tried few kinds of insecticide with no luck.

Normal insecticides will not work with mites, as mites are not insects.  Some of my Cyclamen purpurasens had an infestation last year which I thought was Cyclamen mite, but the experts at Wisley said that it was Bryobia mite which thrives in warm dry conditions (not usual in the UK, but last summer under glass created ideal conditions). 

I was advised to use any treatment containing Bifenthrin (in the UK, the aerosol version of Provado contains this, but not the trigger bottle or the concentrate version).   I am not sure whether this would be effective for cyclamen mite.  And it depends what chemicals you have available for you, Mike.  Take a look at the Cyclamen Society website   www.cyclamen.org   and go to the Pests and Diseases link for more information.   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:23 AM »
May the ignoramus ask:
What the hell are MITES  ???

I've googled for it but found many different things - can you give a latin name, please?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:09:54 AM »

Thomas,  mites are 'Milben'.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »
Thanks for the help, Gerd! Are this "Spinnmilben"?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »
Thomas,
No, Cyclamenmites (Tarsonemus pallidus) are ' Weichhautmilben ' in German. Not all mites spin.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »
Thomas,
No, Cyclamenmites (Tarsonemus pallidus) are ' Weichhautmilben ' in German. Not all mites spin.
Gerd

Hi Gerd ,

Thank you for this information -I  never had mites on my Cyclamen so I dont know this animals .
After some search I can say ( for Germany ) the only good working praeparates are :
Kiron (  actice is Fenpyroimat )
Vertimec ( active is Abamectin )
The last one is in Germany not aviable for privat gardeners -but I dont know the situation in UK or Madeira
Imidacloprid ( thats the active of Provado ) works not for this animals.

I hope this helps a bit
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
I had never had a Cyclamen infected, but they love to attack african violets and the leaves start to curl and get very brittle. The older leaves are not affected, but the plant cannot continue growing and the flowers (if there are any) get deformed. But i will search for those chemicals on stores. I also have heard about Difocol...
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal