We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rock ferns  (Read 43582 times)

ruweiss

Re: Rock ferns
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
....and some more from the garden at our house:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2012, 05:00:46 AM »
Rudi, some beautiful ferns shown.  Many of your images are generically named and do not indicate what fern genera/species they are; can you let us know which ones they are so that we can seek out these beauties.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

kindredspiritkevin

• Coolwater.
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
Brilliant fern display.
Co. Limerick, Ireland. Zone: 8. Height. 172m. Lowest temp: Dec. 2010. -14°C. Wet maritime climate.

www.coolwatergarden.com

Some piccies but not of plants.

ruweiss

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
Rudi, some beautiful ferns shown.  Many of your images are generically named and do not indicate what fern genera/species they are; can you let us know which ones they are so that we can seek out these beauties.

Mark, thanks for your question, 023 is Asplenium trichomanes, 001 and 022 are forms of Phyllitis scolopendrium.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »
Any comments on this sporeling I found?  Asplenium septentrionale certainly is one of the parents and the other maybe is A. trichomanes. Both grow near by. However, the cross isn't supposed to look like this!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
Hello Hoy, it is an exciting find! It does look like the pictures of septentrionale x trichomanes in The Ferns of Britain and Ireland by C.N. Page.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
It certainly looks like the hybrid. It is uncommon since the parents do not often grow in the same place presumably because of different pH requirements. Where they do it is not too rare
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Thanks both!

Anne, I don't have that book but searching the Net gave some similar looking examples. However the drawings in Norwegian floras are different.

Göte, I have never seen it before although both parents are very common where I spend much time in summer. (But I am not down on my knees all the time ;))
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
There used to be (I have not been there since the sixties) a site near Trosa where the hybrid was surprisingly frequent. I have not seen it anywhere else but septentrionale is rare in my area. Someone told me about a find of ruta-muraria near here. I could not find it and confirm but since ruta-muraria is too tender to grow naturally here I suspect that this also was the hybrid.
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Ed Alverson

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2012, 04:33:02 AM »
I enjoy rock ferns because they break the fern stereotype - how can these ferns grow in such hot, dry habitats? We have a great place on the edge of town to see many rock ferns in their natural habitats.  By climbing up to the top of this rocky butte, not only does one enjoy a great view, but there are great clumps of the lace fern, Cheilanthes gracillima, to enjoy.
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Ed Alverson

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2012, 04:43:08 AM »
Mixed in with the Cheilanthes are several other genera that belong to the Pteridaceae family, which hosts the greatest concentration of rock ferns.  Aspidotis is a small genus with only 3 species in western North America; A. densa has a common name of "Indian's dream", though I have no idea where this name came from. Pentagramma is also a small group of western NA species that were formerly included in Pityrogramma, they are known as goldback ferns due to the gold-colored waxy coating on the underside of the fronds.  Cryptogramma acrostichoides is related (though not closely) to European C. crispa, it is much more drought tolerant and has evergreen sterile fronds.  All of these are cold hardy and also drought tolerant, by late summer the fronds will be curled up due to summer drought.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »
Mixed in with the rock ferns already mentioned is the western version of the widespread species Cystopteris fragilis; it emerges in early spring but releases spores and goes dormant by early summer, this is its way of escaping drought.  Note that there are three other species of rock ferns growing with Cystopteris in this photo! Woodsia scopulina also grows here but I was not able to find it on this visit; it is not common at this site and is actually most easily seen later in summer after the similar-looking Cystopteris fragilis goes dormant. Polypodium glycyrriza in a west coast representative of the Polypodium vulgare complex; it is a winter-green species that emerges in the fall, releases spores in winter, and then goes dormant in the spring as summer drought approaches.  It is not at its best in May!

Ed Alverson

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
A couple of larger ferns can be found here that are also very drought tolerant.  Polystichum imbricans is a once-pinnate species that is basically a xerophytic form of Polystichum munitum, a common forest species.  Its venetian-blind like pinnae are very dramatic. Dryopteris arguta is an evergreen species of rocky dry shade, here growing under a clump of stunted oaks.  Its closes relative is the eastern North American species Dryopteris marginalis. Finally, a "fern ally", Selaginella wallacei, grows on moss mats on rocks, related to Lycopodium, these "spike-mosses" are now considered to be only very distant relatives of ferns, but they are still spore-bearing vascular plants. 

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2012, 07:05:09 AM »
Ed, thank you very much for beautiful images of rare species!
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
Fantastic to see tese in the wild, Ed, many thanks. Polystichum imbricans - gorgeous!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal