We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rock ferns  (Read 43073 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Rock ferns
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
Olga and Zen, your pictures are fantastic! :o

Here a picture of Ceterach officinarum together with Polypodium cambricum in the local mountains taken last weekend.

Although Adiantum capillus-veneris(?) is evergreen the fronds are lying on the ground now due to the heavy rain the last weeks.

Adiantum capillus -veneris should not be hardy where you live, yours is Adiantum venustum, a great and easy fern to grow. ;)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:48:31 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
I am not sure what this one is. It is evergreen and has an underground creeping rhizome.
Blechnum penna-marina?

To me it looks a little too loose and not hard enough for penna-marina which, by the way, is not terribly hardy here. It does live in the southernmost part of Nova Scotia.

Polypodium virginianum is a neat little native rock fern that grows even on boulders here.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »
I am not sure what this one is. It is evergreen and has an underground creeping rhizome.
Blechnum penna-marina?

To me it looks a little too loose and not hard enough for penna-marina which, by the way, is not terribly hardy here. It does live in the southernmost part of Nova Scotia.

Polypodium virginianum is a neat little native rock fern that grows even on boulders here.

johnw

Thanks everybody.
It is growing in shade and the fronds is quite hard. Actually I had thought of B. penna-marina myself.

Olga and Zen, your pictures are fantastic! :o

Here a picture of Ceterach officinarum together with Polypodium cambricum in the local mountains taken last weekend.

Although Adiantum capillus-veneris(?) is evergreen the fronds are lying on the ground now due to the heavy rain the last weeks.

Adiantum capillus -veneris should not be hardy where you live, yours is Adiantum venustum, a great and easy fern to grow. ;)

Hans, you probably are right ;)

Thank you all!  8)
Well, I am not sure but probably because i haven't asked and you do not have my address!?
Trond, I am afraid we are not allowed to send/receive seeds, spores or plants from/to here.  :-\ I send seeds occasionally when go abroad. It happens not as often as I want.

OK, Olga, what a pity! I wasn't aware of that.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
yours is Adiantum venustum, a great and easy fern to grow. ;)
Yes! I grow it for some years and it runs between rocks quickly.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
What a great series of pictures! Razvan: we are very cold here, often with temps below -20C. We have just had a month of snow cover, but it is now melting and the garden looks good coming out of the snow!

The Adiantum venustum is excellent for us as well. There is A. capillus veneris in Colorado (and further north) but always near warm water (hot springs and suchlike).

Wish we had as many ferns as I see on my trips to Europe: we have nearly 70 species in Colorado, but most are very local or rare.
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Olga, do you grow some of these ferns in your garden?
If you are interested in hardiness I have the info that the tripteron survives well since ten years here in mid-Sweden (Örebro). A surprice since it originally came from just north of Kyoto. I have never looked for spores but I will if you ask me.
Göte
Yes, I do ask you, Göte, will you look for spores ;)

I gather spores sometimes. You know why I don't send them.  :-\

Well, I am not sure but probably because i haven't asked and you do not have my address!?

I will but pls remind me in June
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2011, 04:06:23 AM »

Adiantum venustum is hardy here in Minnesota (USA), zone 4a, too. 
Even with unreliable snow cover.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Hoy

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
OK, I've solved it!
I once grew Adiantum capillus-veneris for several years but it succumbed to death in a cold winter. Later I got another looking similar from a friend but it has withstood the bad winter last year - but it has to be A. venustum  ;)

This winter so far has been so mild that I could have grown oranges in the garden :o

Hoy

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
Two ferns from last summer - and not in my garden! However, I wouldn't mind growing them but I doubt that they would survive for long!

The first is unknown (suggestions?) and is from the foot of the mountain and the other ( Blechnum schomburgkii) stood in the lee of the highest peak almost forming a forest!

Edit: from Venezuela, Roraima tepuy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:39:13 AM by Hoy »

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
Trond first I wondered what strange ferns grow in Norway. Now I understand images are from South America aren't they?

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
Adiantum venustum

Hoy

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
Trond first I wondered what strange ferns grow in Norway. Now I understand images are from South America aren't they?
Oh sorry,I forgot to write where from! Yes, it is Venezuela.

Olga, your pictures of Adianthum venustum are much better than mine ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:42:01 AM by Hoy »

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Trond - that second picture looks like a botanical wonderland! Are there any books on the flowers of Roraima? Your earlier images were really exciting too.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Hoy

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
Trond - that second picture looks like a botanical wonderland! Are there any books on the flowers of Roraima? Your earlier images were really exciting too.
Tim, I have looked for books but not found any. I know there are several floras of Venezuela but I have never seen any for Roraima or the other tepuys. Should be!

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »
Trond
I wouldn't wonder if fauna of Roraima included dinosaurs...  ;)

Here are some more ferns. Pictures of previous years.

Onoclea sensibilis isn't alpine of course. Very suitable for pond banks.

Onoclea sensibilis Dwarf.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal