We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Christmas wish list  (Read 10131 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Christmas wish list
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
I do most of the cooking in our family and am pleased that ovens are no longer at ground level. Bending over to remove something from an oven is a pain!

The dl is too large a measure to be useful. It's like the dm, it's not really used, especially when you are dealing with recipes that require volumes like 425 ml of, say, milk!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:18:11 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2011, 04:48:44 AM »
Goodness Michael, as well as all your plant growing accomplishments, were you a restaurateur as well? You WOULD be a good man to have around. ;D

Yes Anthony I thoroughly agree about ovens. I had to get a new one recently and desperately wanted a wall version but cost of all the adjustments to bench for hob as well as the joinery involved, made it impossible. So basically I have the same oven as previously except 20 years younger.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:50:52 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2011, 05:00:25 AM »
Kitchens used to be advertise with "eye level grills". I thought all grills were at eye level, if you're looking at them? ::)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
I do most of the cooking in our family and am pleased that ovens are no longer at ground level. Bending over to remove something from an oven is a pain!

The dl is too large a measure to be useful. It's like the dm, it's not really used, especially when you are dealing with recipes that require volumes like 425 ml of, say, milk!

Oh, you use it to mix drinks? Drinks are the only stuff measured in ml here  ;) Everything else are measured in bigger quantities ;D
No, when I think of it; not even drinks are measured in ml but in cl :o
On the other hand dm is almost never used save in volumes: 1dm3 = 1 l.
Length and distances are measured in mm, cm, m, km and mil =10km.
Volumes: ml, cl, dl, l, hl and m3.

This stuff (herring) is measured in hl (hectoliters): (The old unit was skjeppe = 17.4 l. 8 skjepper = 1 tønne (barrel) If you ever wondered ;D ;D

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:23 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
Goodness Michael, as well as all your plant growing accomplishments, were you a restaurateur as well? You WOULD be a good man to have around.

Yes Lesley, when some bright sparks in the planning dept.decided they they wanted to build a chemical factory on the land where I had my nursery, I had to find another way to earn a crust. The locals kicked up such a racked that the factory was never built and the land is still vacant and covered in weeds. :(  ::)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
Quite an impressive change of career Michael.

jomowi

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »
Kitchens used to be advertise with "eye level grills". I thought all grills were at eye level, if you're looking at them? ::)

Does anyone remember the Michael Flanders song part of which goes "I'm delirious about my new cooker with the eye level grill. This means that the hot fat can squirt straight into my eye!"
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

maggiepie

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »

Anthony, that jug looks like it would make a great jug to use with a bamix. ( for mixing)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
The jug's plastic, so the Bamix (not heard of this so Googled it) blades would destroy it.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »

Does anyone remember the Michael Flanders song part of which goes "I'm delirious about my new cooker with the eye level grill. This means that the hot fat can squirt straight into my eye!"

I don't remember the song - wish I knew it, it sounds great - but I remember seeing old UK TV comedy or soap opera I suppose, with people burning the toast on grills above the cooktop. I don't think we've ever had this kind. I've never seen one in the flesh, as it were.

Trouble with under the cooktop grills, is they're brutes to clean. Result is, it doesn't happen often.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Michael, your factory/nursery situation sounds so typical of the bureaucracy doesn't it? "Let's build, have to pull down first, Oh dear, no money. Let's abandon."

For some (possibly Freudian) reason I cannot teach myself how to spell bureaucracy. Have to look it up every time. My Collins New English says ".....highly centralised form of administration in which officials of a national government or of local authorities control every detail of public and private life, subject only to their superior officers and without any responsibility for their acts to the people......." Doesn't it sound depressingly familiar. >:( >:( >:(

My Christmas, or possibly New Year wish is that they'd all go and boil their heads! ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:39:14 PM by Lesley Cox »

maggiepie

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »
The jug's plastic, so the Bamix (not heard of this so Googled it) blades would destroy it.

Plastic jug and bowl came with mine, at least the one I had in Oz.
Plastic was thick though.
Blades don't really touch the bottom, you tilt the jug a little, plus two of the blades for the bamix are round. One for beating and one for whisking.
Probably wouldn't use the jug with the chopping blade.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
The inward sloping back makes it awkward to stir things in, and, as I said before, I use various metal whisks so use the trusty Pyrex jug which doesn't scratch. It's like the wheel, designers have to get over the fact that the perfect jug has already been invented. Anything else is inferior, yet someone was paid a fortune to come up with a design that doesn't work. Another failing in this jug is that if you fill it too far, the lowest part of the rim is at the handle, so if you don't hold it perfectly flat, that's where the contents overflow. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but it escapes me? :-\

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Flanders & swan 'Design for Living'.

Clip here but not by them;

Mick
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal