We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing bulbs in hot climates  (Read 15193 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Growing bulbs in hot climates
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 12:45:40 AM »
You grow all those beauties in warm climate? So that means i can have a little hope then  ;D they really look like crocus!
Don't say that too loudly while Thomas and Otto are around!
The clumps don't always flower as well as that, as Lesley says, usually you get a few at a time.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
Yes, I did notice Fermi's Habranthus. A super potful. I have taken on board the warnings about seed and will watch them carefully. However, I do intend to collect them, maybe two pods, and then sow them.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Michael

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 11:38:18 AM »
Hi!

David, yes you are right, i cannot have a scotish climate here... But i have an idea. What if i use the refrigerator or freezer to put there the bulbs and fool them during winter? Do you think that might work? Do they die if they got freezed?

Lol ok Fermi! But the flowers are very lovely! Of course they look more attractive opening like that, but i think that few at a time also can make a show!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
Certainly not a freezer, Mike, and I'm not sure about the refridgerator, either... trouble is, they want to be in root growth and actual refridgeration might inhibit that too much. Ian says that you should try whatever you can get hold off and just plant them, have them in a coll sort of positon and see what happens!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »
YAAYY!!! Yesterday i found Narcissus at a store and bought some!  I never tried those, but the experience will worth it. If they manage to flower i will post the pictures, so you can help me ID them!  ;D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
Hi Michael

I'm from Portugal too, and i also like very much bulbous plants.

What bulbs are you growing now? With you climate that must be very easy to grow this plants. I've seen in a graden's friend Hippeastrums and Clivias growing in the ground, bloomig so much.

Kindly
Cris
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Michael

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 11:32:45 AM »
Hi Cris!

Well those plants grow well here, we have some Clivias and Hippeastrums growing at some parks, and they do quite well, but in my opinion, they are not as pretty as those bulbous from colder regions, like northern europe. My climate is only good for medirterranean and south-african species. Theoricaly, the other plants from cold places will not thrive here, (at least in a long term basis). I bet that in your climate (which is a little fresh than mine) you can grow those better than me! ;D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
Hi Michael

I've already tried to grow a Galanthus and it did not liked the climate.
In deed, I prefer the South Hemisphere plants, they are so beautiful. I'm trying to cultivating them from seed, it is an experience I hope it will be sucessful.
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Gene Mirro

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
Michael, people in southern California have the same problem as you do with the cold-hardy bulbs like tulips.  The standard method is to pot them up in Fall and place them in the refrigerator for a few months of chilling.  Here is a link to a discussion about bulbs, on a website which specializes in California gardening:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1023314517620.html?5  If you search this forum for discussions about bulbs, you will find a lot of useful information.

I can tell you from experience that this method has many challenges.  For example, if you take the bulb pots out of the refrigerator and place them in a warm or shady place, the  flower stems will be long and weak, and the flower buds may be destroyed by fungal diseases.  In your climate, it is probably best to take the pots out of the fridge in midwinter, and bury the pot up to the rim in a bed of sand or gravel, in a sunny place.  This will keep the roots cool, while giving the leaves plenty of light.  Do not place the pots under a tree which drips sap; the delicate flowers will be damaged.  Do not place the pots in a warm greenhouse with no air flow; this will cause all kinds of problems.

Most "Dutch" bulbs like to be fed with some lime and bone meal.  See Ian's bulb logs for more data on fertilization.  I mix lime and bone meal into the potting mix before I plant the bulbs.

Keep the  planting mix moist while the bulbs are in active growth.  After the plants have completed their growth cycle, the leaves will yellow and the plant will go dormant.  The bulbs now need several months of warm, dry dormancy.  Stop watering and let the potting mix go dry.  You cannot leave the pots in full sun over the Summer.  Your climate is too hot.  If you have a basement or crawl space under the house, you can put the pots there.  Or maybe you can cover the pots with several inches of mulch.  But you must protect against rodents.  Keep the pots dry and warm until September, then give them some water, place them in sealed plastic bags and put them in the fridge.  They will make roots and flower buds in the cold.  Watch the pots regularly, and take them out of the fridge when you see growth above the soil level.

It is a lot of work.  But it is a great pleasure when you are successful. 

Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
Great advice, Gene, thanks
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
many thanks Gene! I know it is a lot of work, but if the work is well done, we receive an even greater award! I grow Disa uniflora and i put the pots every day on the frige during the night, so i dont see much difference, doing it with other cold bulbs. I will try your method!
Thanks again!!! ;D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

stellan

• Looking for seeds...
    • http://www.sandstorm.se
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »
I like Dipcadi and this plant was growing in West Sahara. Very hard to grow in Sweden...

/Stellan
http://www.sandstorm.se

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »
The Dipcadi looks very like one of the bits that are left over when someone dismantles and then rebuilds his motorbike ;D I love the twisty, spring-like leaves.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »
Wow wonderfull plant! It also remember me of the Gethylis... Are those available in nurseries?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
Uau... amazing!

I've never imagined that was a plant just like this, all green.

Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal