We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing bulbs in hot climates  (Read 15190 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Growing bulbs in hot climates
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 11:11:06 AM »
Michael,

Welcome to the forum!!

Martin,

Any gif file should work here as an avatar I think, so if you could create a gif file from the pictures you were mentioning you should be able to create a moving avatar?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
...you could have a crocus opening up as a moving avatar...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
...you could have a crocus opening up as a moving avatar...

That's a nice idea!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
Yes i have made an opening flower to offer to other friend. You just need to find a time-lapse movie and then take some snapshots of the more important moments and then u got your avatar.  ;)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
like this
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
Mike
Modelo that is a smaller version of Continente exist in Funchal with two places so they maight have the product now since it is a promotion on Continente.

You asked aboutt my favorite plants.
My favorite plants are bulbs I love planting them and buying them :)
Other favorites that go well in Coimbra is irises mostly bearded ones not needing much attention, daylillies needing water and peony that seem to have some problem in the heat.
I also love to grow the things we can not grow in Sweden outside all year like citrus, bouganvilla, camelia and I also started to accept dahlias and gladiolus (bought some in pingo doce in spring) since they do not need to be lifted here in the winter. You see how easy it is to please people with a Winter :)
I have after seeing nice pics of crocus started to look closer on them and they are nice even the hybrids are nice and if they like it they start to hybridize them self 8) ::) :o. Then You will have your own special one.
In Funchal there are some really nice gardens I must say. The one in Monte is also very nice I think and there You have the season with the different kind of plants being in different seasons.
I can understand the little boring things they have with pansys all year and primulas all year in some public gardens but there is some difference in Madeira as well even if it is smaller than in Northen Europe.
I have seen in Portugal that plants that came from Sweden with summers in +25C as a good one they get used to the Portuguse ones where the Autumn are 25 and start to die down as they should so it is not only temperatures that is needed for the plants. I think that lightlevels and differences in temperature also is of some importance.

Good luck in Your plant hunting and now is the best time in the stores.
Take care
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Michael

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 09:29:38 PM »
Hi Joakim!

Ok i will have a look at Modelo to see what do they have for sale! I just hope to see some interesting things in there :)
When i got news i will tell
See you soon
M
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »
like this

That's really nice. Better the crocus which opens and closes with warm/cold temps, than the narcissus which just sits there doing nothing.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 04:05:54 AM »
Hi Mike,
I know what it's like growing up in a warm climate and reading about plants from cold places!
If the true crocuses don't live up to expectations try some of the "fake" ones, like the rain-lilies which are often called "autumn crocus" here in Australia. Habranthus tubispathus, H. martinezii, Zephyranthes rosea and Z. candida are worthwhile and have the classic crocus shape, although on a stem rather than the long tube. Others with a more starry appearance include Z. atamasco and Z. drummondii. The seeds of some of these are usually available through the Seed exchanges of the AGS, SRGC or NARGS. Otherwise drop me a line in April or May which is when the seed ripen here usually.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Michael

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
 Hi Fermi! ;D

Thanks for the offer! I saw their pictures and they'r wonderfull! Do you have any pictures of yours?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
Hi Mike,
I've posted these before but I don't mind posting them again.

Habranthus tubispathus
29637-0

Zephyranthes fosteri or possibly Z. rosea
29639-1

Z. rosea which may actually be the hybrid Z. "Grandjax"
29641-2

Z. "Ajax"
29643-3

Habranthus robustus hybrid
29645-4

cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Michael

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
Wowowow  :o

You grow all those beauties in warm climate? So that means i can have a little hope then  ;D they really look like crocus! Do you have any more pictures?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
Mike, look at the threads on this forum for plants from the Southern Hemisphere, "Down Under2 as we call it.. you'll see lots of plants there which should do well for you. Also, there is the "oldForum" on this site, see here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi   This was in use for some years until last November when it was archived and we began this forum. The Old version is still there... you can search it and there is LOTS to see and learn, but no new posts can be made there, only here.
Enjoy!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
Mike, we grow warm climate bulbs in Scotland by keeping them in an unheated greenhouse so that they have a dry dormancy and/or, very occaisionaly, can bringing them into the warm house. In former time when heating fuel was cheap growers had heated greenhouses.
To do the reverse, cold climate bulbs in a hot climate has to be much more difficult. If I could afford the money it would be fairly easy for me to create a Madeiran climate in Scotland - but to create a Scottish climate in Madeira ::) that would be something.
I would have thought that South African bulbs or even Mediteranean basin bulbs like crocus should be an option if you give them dry dormancy. You have the heat and can engineer the dryness under glass.
Enjoy playing with your bulbs and learn, it is great fun
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »
David, that first pic in Fermi's last batch will give you a good idea of what to expect from the Habranthus tubispathus (syn. Zephranthes) you raised as a Romulea. But I have to admit mine doesn't grow in a compact clump like that but I get odd flowers here and there rather than in a bunch. Maybe it needs not to be disturbed for a few years. These are all prolific seeders.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal