We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mutisia oligodon  (Read 3936 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Mutisia oligodon
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »
I received seeds of this species from the exchange.

In the past Ian Young said of his oligodon hybrid "It does set some viable seed and we find the odd self sown seedling but I suspect as with a lot of daisies a lot of the seed it produces in not fertile."  How can I tell if the seeds are viable before planting?  Any ideas on treatment or are they immediate sprouters?

johnw - glorious day here
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Mutisia oligodon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »
Fatter the seed the better, for a start. Others will need to chime in on technique...... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
As Maggi said, fatter the better. Being Asteraceae the seeds, if dropped from a height, say 30cms, onto a paper, will land quickly and with a click rather than drifting and falling on their sides before landing. Applies equally to Celmisia seeds and many others in the family.  In my (very limited) experience, they took quite a time to germinate but remembering that we get seedlist seed in mid summer followed by autumn while you get it mid winter followed by spring. This can add an extra 6, 12 or even 18 months to some seeds' germination time. Someone should write an article about this, specifically as it applies to the different hemispheres (and after 100 years of experiments of course with countless species of seeds). ;D

It may be helpful to insert each fertile seed upright into the seed mix leaving just the pappus above the mix, then add the grit with which you will cover the compost.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:10:58 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
Three seeds - one fat and  2 lean -  were planted on the 29th of January and inmmediately a seedling sprouted. It shot up several centimeters but I was immediately suspicious as the seed leaves were bi-lobed. It was very slow to send out true leaves. When it did they were hairy so I suspect it was a weed seed as the compost I used was in a pile near a field.  I pulled it out and immediately up shot another seedling about 2 weeks ago and which sent out toothed leaves a week later.  I think I have a Mutisia! Now should it be grown very cool?

johnw  - a more reasonable +10c and sunny though frosty tonight.

johnw

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
So one Mutisia seedling is growing like mad and another sprouted 2 weeks ago.  If these appear in another pot I would have promptly yanked them out as weeds.  They are not exactly beautiful at this point.  The stems do not seem to match M. oligodon as seen on the internet as images but there's little doubt they are Mutisias. But which?  Or even hybrids.?

1. recent seedling Mutisia
2-4 oldest seedling Mutisia

johnw

johnw

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
Hereis the Mutisia oligodon from this January's SRGC seed.  I am surprised it doesn't seem to be minding the extreme humidity of the past 2+ weeks.  Growing like mad but the foliage colour is quite unlike Maggi's plant, hers is almost black green with white undersides.   This is one of the strangest looking plants I've grown.   Second seedling in this pot croaked when moved outdoors in May, I think the sun got it.  Will the foliage ever darken up or is it just a dog?

johnw
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:12:38 PM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
I am not sure of this, but could yours be pure  M. oligodon, rather than our hybrid version, John?  ???

johnw

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:16 AM »
I am not sure of this, but could yours be pure  M. oligodon, rather than our hybrid version, John?  ???

Just my luck, the damn thing looks more like leaf lettuce than a Mutisia.  And grows as fast as lettuce too.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:40:23 PM by johnw »

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
Johnw, don't be afraid. I had several of those things and none survived the winter ;) (Seed from Chile though.)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
 That's right, Trond, cheer him up!

It's still young - your weather has been pretty odd this year - the poor thing may just be growing like a lettuce weed because of that - as the older stems mature it may bethat the whole thing will 'leather-up' and the more mature colouring will develop. 
There, feel any better?  :)

johnw

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »
Much better Maggi.

johnw

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
You're definitely right about it looking like a lettuce.  ;D  I must admit I would have thought it was a weed too.  :o  Except for the climbing tendrils.  Maybe lettuce have decided to try to take over the world?  ???

:D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
Lettus hope not :P

Yes, I know, but I couldn't let it pass.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
Lettuce pray for an improvement in our humour, David.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

meanie

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
I was wondering how this got on?
I'm sorely tempted by M.linearifolia (http://www.chileflora.com/Florachilena/FloraEnglish/HighResPages/EH0308.htm) which grows at higher altitude (although not cheap).
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal