We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Comments/Questions SRGC Seed Ex. List No, 65  (Read 22146 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Questions- SRGC Seed Exchange 2011-2012 List No. 65
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »
Naturally, I will pass these comments, as I always do with Members' suggestions, to the SRGC folks concerned with such matters.

Some of my own comments on the matter.....

To allow surplus seed choices from those seeds remaining after the main distribution would necessitate a full stock take of remaining seed and the re-listing of surplus seed. That presupposes that a full stock list at the start is in existence, and has been updated through the process as more packets are made from some seeds which are in demand and in good supply.  
To allow further ordering, the existing seed ordering list would need to be deleted and re-set. To allow further ordering from the surplus list would require the members' seed accounts to be cleared to allow further ordering.   There would be the problem of removing those names who had already placed surplus seed orders as well as their main request, to allow those who had not made such an order to place a later order.
Anyone wishing to make such an order would need to re-register etc.

Already, I think you can see that this requires a great deal of work from both the Web and Seed Teams to achieve . There are likely other considerations that are yet to occur to me  :-\

I  cannot say what systems are in place for other organisations  but I have a pretty good working knowledge of the SRGC method. Other people do things differently, that is their right, different situations require different solutions, I'm sure.

The Seed Team are keen to get their various tasks implemented and completed in as quick a time as possible :  the sooner the seed gets to the members the greater chance there is of viability and growing success.

The SRGC has no premises in which to perform the seed exchange tasks for picking, packing and  distribution- space has to be hired to accomplish this and such space can be expensive and often only available for a limited period.
The goal of the Seed Team is to have all orders received by January 15th and all orders picked, packed and sent by February.  
Allowing for snags with undelivered USA seed import permits and the like,which can and do delay some packages, the Seed Team is very successful in their aims.

edit for spelling!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:16:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
Clearly with much smaller general seed distribution lists or lists limited to a family/genus, it would be much easier to issue a "remainders" list or mark specific seeds as no longer available as they are sent out - but for a non-commercial list the size of the SRGC list this would be an impossible feat!
I've always wondered, out of mere curiosity, what happens to seeds left over after all orders have been sent out.
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
After the Seed exchange is over the remaining seeds are taken round all the SRGC shows for sale   for a nominal sum and Groups can be  sent leftovers for distribution to members.
The very last  few seeds from Seed Ex. 64 were available for anyone to help themselves to at the AGM.
The handful remaining after that were due in the Bainbridge compost heap, I think!

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
After the Seed exchange is over the remaining seeds are taken round all the SRGC shows for sale   for a nominal sum and Groups can be  sent leftovers for distribution to members.
The very last  few seeds from Seed Ex. 64 were available for anyone to help themselves to at the AGM.
Ah - that explains why I didn't know :) Wherever we live, there are always advantages and disadvantages of living there!!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
surely any seed exchange of the magnitude of both SRGC and AGS where tens of thousands of packets are involved is a complicated procedure.
i just thought orders are processed as they arrive, after the main distribution. 
i had no idea that the whole system would have to be reset.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
Razvan, you mentioned the AGS seed list. As yet I haven't received one or had any notification that it is available Online. Were you speaking in general or specifically about this year's list? Maybe I need to contact them, in a hurry.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
The AGS list is online now, Lesley.... with thousands of seeds to tempt you.
I discovered that it was online when I went to see how the surplus ordering differs from the SRGC system.
There it is possible to make your main and surplus orders seperately, though at the same time is preferred, I think.... and both orders must be received by 6th January, if I read it correctly.

So the AGS  seed volunteers will be beavering away as well ...... and the NARGS  ones, too... their seedlist is open for online ordering for the first time this year and on December 15 their new online Seed Exchange will be ready for it's initial roll-out.

Extraordinary to think of the hundreds of thousands of packets of seed being made up and sent out around the world in the next few months, isn't it?  8)

maggiepie

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
Maggi, it's not there for me.

Says it will be online soon. ??? ??? ???

Oops, now it is!!

;D

Helen Poirier , Australia

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
yes it is online.
i also did not receive any notification, was just eager to order and checked their website to see if there is any news.
my order is already placed.
and as they say: 'and now we wait'

as for surplus seeds, well, I'll just have to wait some more and see if Santa is generous with my card account.  ;D
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
The AGS list is online now, Lesley.... with thousands of seeds to tempt you.
I discovered that it was online when I went to see how the surplus ordering differs from the SRGC system.
There it is possible to make your main and surplus orders seperately, though at the same time is preferred, I think.... and both orders must be received by 6th January, if I read it correctly.

AGS seed exchange went on line today, it was the same day as last year, and it was flagged up on the AGS website and on the discussion forum.  Although it says ordering main and surplus at the same time is preferred, this is just to simplify the number of online payments.  Otherwise it makes no difference either way, whatever people prefer to do.   

So the AGS  seed volunteers will be beavering away as well ...... and the NARGS  ones, too... their seedlist is open for online ordering for the first time this year and on December 15 their new online Seed Exchange will be ready for it's initial roll-out.
 Extraordinary to think of the hundreds of thousands of packets of seed being made up and sent out around the world in the next few months, isn't it?  8)

Extraordinary, indeed,  ;)  and a little bit scary   ::) but how marvellous that we have enough donors and volunteers at each stage to make the whole thing happen
Diane Clement, Acting Manager, AGS Seed Exchange
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »
Thank you all for this good ( :-\) news. It always seems to happen on a day when I MUST do other things, like today, all the bookwork for Saturday's market, receipts, balance, banking etc etc and a report to Chair of the Trust. I'm already behind as I went through the Forum posts first and then, because the weather was good but due to change later today, went outside to weed seed pots. (Found 7 new seedlings of Rh. pachysanthum and also 3 seedlings of a Paris Anthony sent me 2 years ago!) But the weather, just on mid day has turned nasty, slashing rain and a southerly wind so I'd better get the bookwork done then can concentrate on the seedlist. As they say, "A woman's work is never done." Never mind the housework!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »

Extraordinary, indeed,  ;)  and a little bit scary   ::) but how marvellous that we have enough donors and volunteers at each stage to make the whole thing happen
Diane Clement, Acting Manager, AGS Seed Exchange

So right, Diane..... really super that there is the will and effort made from all concerned to carry out these enormous tasks.

Huge amount of work required and every bit done by volunteers... something to celebrate indeed!

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:26 AM »
I cannot imagine how the seeds came to be listed as "bulbs"..... sorry folks!
Oh no, i thought they were roots, so i didn't order any..  :'(
Oh dear, you thought as I did, Lillii...... that they were liitle plantlets .... how annoying!
Given the description "bulbs" , what else were we to think? How on earth could it happen  ??? :'(
Hi Maggi,
I hope the packers preparing the allocations realise that these are seeds and that they can be sent outside the EU! I'm hopeful that we can get a few of these down to Australia!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »

Hi Maggi,
I hope the packers preparing the allocations realise that these are seeds and that they can be sent outside the EU! I'm hopeful that we can get a few of these down to Australia!
cheers
fermi

I hope so too, fermi..... I have highlighted the position to the Seed folks.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
Thanks, Maggi
 :-*
Of course it depends if we are in time to get any in the first place! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal