We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Too Late to Donate - Wild Alaskan Seed Available  (Read 1425 times)

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
Too Late to Donate - Wild Alaskan Seed Available
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »
I was afflicted with appendicitis early October and was incapacitate while healing in Anchorage - I have the seeds all nicely set aside that were meant for the exchange.  I was particularly proud of wild collected
Primula Cuneifolia and would hate for them not to be shared with SRGC friends.  There are only 20-30 microscopic seeds, and if you scroll down through the "blooming new" section to my post on Alaska alpines there is a picture of this tiny fellow - the plant is about 2cm in diameter, with a bloom of 1cm.

My two greatest frustrations are that I have never been able so sprout either cardiocrinum or corydalis from seed, I am guessing cardiocrinum has short viability like corydalis.  I would love to trade a few seeds of cardiocrinum for my seed to give it one more try, but won't hold a skilled grower from the primula seed.

In greater quantity I have:

Fritillaria Camschatcensis
Campanula Rotundifolia
Mimulus Guttatus
Aconitum Delphinifolium

in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Too Late to Donate - Wild Alaskan Seed Available
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
Poor you, Clay, hope you are now fully recovered ?
We can send you some Cardiocrinum seed, with pleasure. We would be thrillled to have Primula cuneifolia seed if that's possible.

Kind regards,
 Maggi   and Ian
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
Freshness does seem to be the answer for both Cardiocrinum and Corydalis. Generous Forumists have sent me both from newly harvested seed and I have had good germination. On the other hand this spring I have 5 seedlings up of what the label says is Cardiocrinum cathayanum from AGS seed 2006!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
Leslie, I think I give seed 3 years to perform in a pot, then it gets cast on a special nursery bed I set aside for the purpose.  I am often frustrated by all the germination that takes on this bed, I think mother nature is trying to tell me something about sowing directly on the ground in my climate.  I guarantee I've never given cardiocrinum a five year shot at germination.

Maggie, my stitches and internals are all but nicely healed up, but my back went out this weekend and I'm laid up for other reasons.  The muscles got mad at all the inactivity and siezed up but the lovely muscle relaxers I got at the pharmacy yesterday got me a full 6 hours of sleep so far tonight.  I'm not complaining, these are just temporary inconveniences and have given me some very welcome reading time.  I promised Magnar the primula seed but there was more than I expected so I'll set aside 10 or so for you and mail shortly.  I will be travelling tonight through the weekend but will exchange addresses with you this weekend and mail next monday.
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
Thanks, Clay... will send pm.
Take care!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Freshness does seem to be the answer for both Cardiocrinum and Corydalis. Generous Forumists have sent me both from newly harvested seed and I have had good germination. On the other hand this spring I have 5 seedlings up of what the label says is Cardiocrinum cathayanum from AGS seed 2006!
Lesley,
You are indeed correct regarding perennial Corydalis. Re Cardiocrinum, I think I have had germinationfrom seed one year old (well 1.5 years actually) However, cardiocrinums lack visible embryo and will spend the first year in the pot developing it. There is a very good paper about this http://www.amjbot.org/content/93/6/849.abstract there are links to the complete text.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal