We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Timing Sternbergia candida sowing  (Read 1189 times)

anita

Timing Sternbergia candida sowing
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
Hi, I've obtained some Sternbergia candida seed from Marcus' seedlist. Should I sow it now (nearly summer in the Southern Hemisphere) or should I wait until autumn? Also any guidance on shallow vs deep sowing?
Thanks Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Pauli

Re: Timing Sternbergia candida sowing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
Hello,

I think you can sow it now. The seeds are used to some summer drought in nature, but not to severe baking. They should start to germinate with the onset of cooler temperatures and the first rains.
Sternbergias are not too difficult from seed!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
Anita, you can control summer temperatures for the seeds better in their packet, room temperature is right. Provided the seed is fresh (and Marcus' seeds are superb) there will be no problems with germination. Sow when autumn is well advanced and place the pot in a spot with good light but no direct sunshine and a southern exposure.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

anita

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
Pauli, Alberto,
Thanks for your advice. I think I'll resist the urge to plant now and hangoff until the heat of summer has passed. Cheers Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal