We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seeking Viola 'Jackanapes'  (Read 2969 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Seeking Viola 'Jackanapes'
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Elizabeth MacGregor is indeed good for violas... and lots of other things besides .... I'm thinking of their award for the 2010 Chelsea Plant of the year.... for instance.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mairead

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »
I had a lovely e-mail from Jack Willgoss of Bout's, and they are shortly (in a month or so) going to have an online shop which will be very handy indeed for someone from Ireland like myself.  Meanwhile I can gaze at the plants and dream  :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
I too had a very nice email from Jack (whom I called Will and have had to send a second reply, apologising), about the little viola I posted on the Nov in the Southern Hemisphere thread. This has been around in NZ for a few years as Viola albanica but isn't. (Jack confirmed, as did Gerd K) and I thought it could be V. cornuta 'Minor' as it is VERY minor and has the typical horn at the back as well as being the same shape as my V. cornuta 'Alba.' Gerd says it could be a hybrid of cornuta 'Minor' with somthing else and Jack isn't sure but will ask around. Whatever, it is a little darling the pad of foliage just 1cm high and the flower stems about 2cms. It had a single seed pod a few years ago but nothing germinated and no pods since. I'd be very interested in others' opinions please. Someone must know what it is. Otherwise, I'll start calling it V. cornuta 'Minutissima.' ::)

I may be mis-remembering but I think a Christchurch person brought it in as seed some years ago from Halda or someone like that, as V. albanica.
320017-0
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
I had a lovely e-mail from Jack Willgoss of Bout's, and they are shortly (in a month or so) going to have an online shop which will be very handy indeed for someone from Ireland like myself.  Meanwhile I can gaze at the plants and dream  :)

That's good to learn.... thanks  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal