We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A good day out in New Zealand  (Read 2247 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
A good day out in New Zealand
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
On Sunday 16th Oct, the local members of NZ Fritillaria Group (now renamed NZ Fritillaria and Small Bulb Group) had arranged a day in order to see as many frits as possible, while combining this with the AGM, a talk and a dinner at a member's home. The whole affair covered about 10 hours so was very busy.

There were about 27 of us I think and we started at the Botanic Gardens for lunch, planned to sit on the lawn but it had been raining so we bought lunch at the cafe and ate indoors, a good chance to chat with friends many of us hadn't seen for a year or more.

Next we wandered up through the rock garden which overlooks the lower, more formal part of the garden and this is generally recognized as the best public rock garden in New Zealand. Certainly it is the oldest having been started around 100 years ago. Then we walked further up the hill through newish South African and Mediterranean collections before seeing through the old propagating area. This is soon to be replaced as the Dunedin City Council makes radical changes to the upper gardens as well as to access roads, service areas and other facilities in the overall scheme. We were accompanied by Robyn Abernethy, curator of these collections and the rock garden and some other parts, and also one of the Frit Grp members.

As always I took quite a few pictures, some of which follow.

Orobus (Lathyrus) vernus, the usual colour but there were also good pinks, a pure white and a white with the merest hint of pink.
317652-0

317654-1

A cedar which I hope someone will identify for me
317656-2

Salix hylemetica covering a large area
317658-3

Polygonum tenuicaule
317660-4
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:26:05 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Re: A good day out in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
From South Africa, Erica cerinthoides (I think)
317662-0

and a beautiful and most un-conifer-like Podocarp, and again, I'd like a correct name please if someone recognizes it.
317664-1
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »
The Mediterranean garden is especially attractive to me with many plants which are scented or with white/grey/silver foliage. They include cardoon (or is it an artichoke?)
317666-0

The horned poppy Glaucium.
317668-1

Carduncellus pinnatus, the prickly foliage and bud
317670-2

and the woolly Salvia argentea, too early in the season for all of these plants to flower but still very beautiful to me.
317672-3

317674-4

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:55:36 PM »
View of some of Dunedin's older houses from the Med garden. It was quite a steep climb up the hill so I and some others found the flat bit half way up, a welcome opportunity to get breath back and look at the view
317678-0

New planting in the Med garden which is little more than a year old and already establishing well.
317680-1

In the propagating area Nola Falconer (looking suitably downcast) found a label by plants put aside for inclusion in the old Northern cemetary, which is kept in shape and tidy, by the Bot Gardens staff. This old cemetary is not used now but contains the remains of some of Dunedin's oldest and best-known sons and daughters from the very early days of settlement in Otago.
317682-2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:59:26 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:14:16 PM »
From the Botanic Gardens we travelled in several cars out to Mosgiel, about 15 kms from the centre of Dunedin and nearer to where I live. First we went to the garden of Stewart Preston who grows a superb collection of interesting plants, all to perfection, and in what is really a very small garden. We saw many Trilliums which were still not out the previous weekend at the Trillium Weekend. But first, just inside his garden gate,

Podophyllum pleianthum, not only with many clusters of buds but seedlings from last year surrounding the plant as well
317688-0

Then a good flowering clump of Bellevalia pycnantha
317690-1

Trillium angustipetalum (probably) in an unusual shade of  yellowish bronze
317692-2

A fine clump of Tr. ovatum, reddening as the flowers age
317694-3

And equally fine, a little later to flower, Tr. grandiflorum
317696-4

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
In spite of this being a Fritillaria day, we saw few, many being over already. Lovely though, was F. affinis 'Sunray'
317710-0

Uvularia grandiflora (?)
317712-1

Tropaeolum tricolor. It's always a great year for this lovely plant in Stewart's garden.
317714-2

Foliage of an Asarum species
317716-3

A South American irid, Libertia caerulescens
317718-4

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Getting late in the day, we went in small groups to visit Dick King who is now in his very late 80s but just a year ago took on quite a large house and garden in a retirement village in Mosgiel, which has the advantage for older people, of being flat while Dunedin is very hilly.

I took just 3 pictures here though there was much to see and admire. This blue Primula auricula was in full flower and had an almost overpowering scent. 2011 is a brilliant year for auriculas and I've seen superb plants everywhere I've been. My own aren't too bad either. :)
317720-0

Alyssum (now Aurinia) saxatile 'Citrinum' is a prettier yellow (I think), than the straight A. saxatile.
317722-1

And this last one, a promise of things to come. Dick said that this plant, many years old now had never flowered before, even though his previous garden was a great joy for many, many rhododendrons. Now, just 1 year after his move and with a much more exposed and sunny garden, Rh. roxieanum has a myriad buds. I counted 20 trusses and couldn't see the back of the plant so I would guess there are at least 30. If he permits, I'll return to take a picture when it is full out.
317724-2

To finish this long-winded post, some more Trilliums in Stewart's garden.

Trillium rivale
317726-3

317728-4
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:04:09 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
Maggi, I don't know how the extra auricula and aurinia arrived. Can you remove them please? Thanks.

Edit by maggi: it was a numbering glitsch, Lesley, sorted now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:57:11 AM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
These seedling Tr. chloropetalum just "arrived" said Stewart. He didn't sow seed of the yellow and didn't put any plant there, just a very happy co-incidence. But everywhere you look there are self-sown seedlings of every kind of Trillium in his garden and just about every flower has a pod developing. This is Trillium heaven!
317730-0

A group of mainly Tr. grandiflorum some with dark - very dark - leaves. I think these were seedlings from T. g. roseum
317732-1

Dark and light leaves
317734-2

Trillium grandiflorum dark red leaf
317736-3

Trillium grandiflorum roseum, maybe shows the pink flower better than the one above, maybe not.
317738-4
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:07:00 AM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
And now, really to finish, the final three.
Trillium luteum, a wonderful and fragrant clump
317740-0

Trillium flexipes
317742-1

and a perhaps a hybrid, or a beautiful variation on Tr. erectum
317744-2

Thanks everyone for your patience. Thereafter to Susan and David More's home and garden where we had a super meal (everyone contributing with a great array of dishes and desserts,) a talk about Lake Van in Turkey from Doreen Mear, then the very brief AGM and notes. Small (but choice) salestable and raffles. A great day and evening altogether. And oh yes, we beat the Aussies on the rugby field as well.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
Looks like a really good day Lesley thanks for posting the pics.  Although I love Trilliums I have to say that Primula auricula was my favourite. :)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Darren

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
Delighted to see that clump of Erica cerinthoides Lesley.  :)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »
A wonderful display of beautiful plants, Lesley. Many thanks. Most welcome as I sit with a cup of coffee on a dreadfully wet and miserable day here in Ireland.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

maggiepie

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
Really enjoyed the wide variety of plants in your pics, Lesley.
Such a lovely time of year for you as we are facing 6 months of winter here.
Keep them coming.

Helen Poirier , Australia

Onion

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
From South Africa, Erica cerinthoides (I think)
(Attachment Link)

and a beautiful and most un-conifer-like Podocarp, and again, I'd like a correct name please if someone recognizes it.
(Attachment Link)

Lesley,
not seen many Pododarpus but this one look like, was we have as Podocarpus latifolius in the nursery.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal