We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2 terrestial orchids from Taiwan  (Read 1582 times)

Pascal B

2 terrestial orchids from Taiwan
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »
Malaxis purpurea aff. and Goodyera hachijoensis aff. Confirmation of ID's still is pending, the Goodyera is odd in that the flowers barely open but the leaves are highly attractive.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 2 terrestial orchids from Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Something different indeed, Pascal.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pascal B

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
Correction of the Malaxis name by Andre Schuiteman of Kew, not Malaxis purpurea but most likely a purple form of Malaxis/Crepidium bancanoides based on the presence of "teeth"  on the lip. The genus name depends on which taxonomist you talk to as Crepidium used to be a section within Malaxis but has been raised to a genus status in 1995 by a guy named Szlachetko. Some taxonomists accept the reinstatement of Crepidium Blume as a genus, others don't......

Edit: The reinstatement of Crepidium seems to be based on DNA which means that most SE Asian Malaxis are now Crepidium.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:55:29 PM by Pascal B »

manicbotanic

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
i went to the rio atlantic rainforest a couple of years ago with an orchid group.i was on malaxis/liparis duty.and am pleased to say i found lots of them.infact i was told kew didnt find any..they must not have as good eyesight as me ;).i have just purchased malaxis{still calling them malaxis at moment}perakensis.do you know it pascal? i dont..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal