We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: how to treat the small bulbils on P. humilis?  (Read 1219 times)

Guus

how to treat the small bulbils on P. humilis?
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
Hi all,
I have some small bulbils on top of the old bulbs of Pleione humilis. How do I treat those best to get them to grow to new plants?
Thanks for your help!
Greetings, Guus
Guus; Netherlands

LarsB

• The Fearless One
Re: how to treat the small bulbils on P. humilis?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
I've had limited success putting them on rackwil slabs where i can actually see them and keep them moist at the same time. Growing them in pots with 'ordinary' backbased compost has not worked for me. Still, i've oly managed to get 2 out of 20 to survive, so i'm probably not hte best to learn from :)
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
Guus

If you mean the very small bulbils that form large clusters then they are difficult but not impossible. I store them in dry tubs in a dark cold garage (frost free) over winter and then start them off in a mix of fine perlite and coco coir with shredded moss on top and just sprinkle them in. Spray to dampen when you see the first signs of growth. I would guess 40% make it through the first year. This year I have more clusters than normal.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
I've had limited success putting them on rackwil slabs where i can actually see them and keep them moist at the same time. Growing them in pots with 'ordinary' backbased compost has not worked for me. Still, i've only managed to get 2 out of 20 to survive, so i'm probably not hte best to learn from :)

rackwil slabs = rockwool sheets , I presume?  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Guus

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
Thanks for the first inputs! I said "I have some..." but I think I should be honest and follow Slug Killer to say that I have many of them and I want to try to get many through winter and get them to start growing next year...
I'll try some different treatments.
Greetings, Guus
Guus; Netherlands

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »
I've had limited success putting them on rackwil slabs where i can actually see them and keep them moist at the same time. Growing them in pots with 'ordinary' backbased compost has not worked for me. Still, i've only managed to get 2 out of 20 to survive, so i'm probably not hte best to learn from :)

rackwil slabs = rockwool sheets , I presume?  :)

Sorry. Rockwool slabs, actually. It is untreated, compressed rockwool. It can absorb a lot of water and I use it for growing orchids like Masdevallia and Pleione mounted. The slabs looks awful at first, but they are soon covered by a layer of moss and suddenly they look more naturelike than nature :) Haven't got a good picture but i can take some if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »
Would be quite interesting to see Lars !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
I'll go home and take some pictures, then  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal