We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus October 2011  (Read 20541 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Crocus October 2011
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
A potful of a 'special' Crocus boryi, bought from Peter Moore for £2.  An excellent potful  :) ;D :)

Arthur - this looks interesting & very nice, it would be good to see it open. Why/how does Peter identify it as C. boryi ?

Gerry
Will try to get a shot of the open flower.  Has white anthers, twice the size of laevigatus and I presume the corm - will investigate when plant is dormant.  Peter has found several forms and this is probably the best.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ArnoldT

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
CROCUS SPECIOSUS
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
Very tired in evenings and haven't time even for checking forum. so only few pictures.
At first - variability of Crocus tournefortii - flower color, but especially throat
Crocus oreocreticus - my stock very uniform
Crocus wattiorum is very easy to identify
Something similar in color is Crocus nerimaniae but of completely different flower shape. Unfortunately natural population from where comes my stock is very infected with virus. Two years ago I visited this locality and long time passed to search for 10 healthy looking plants. Now they started flowering and 3 were dug out because flowers showed virus infection - so it was in plants in nature. All others were carefully pollinated to receive some seeds, hoping that seedlings will be healthy.
Usually viruses are not transfered by seeds but last researches made in Holland showed that there are some exceptions. Tobaco rattle virus infecting a lot of bulbs can be transfered through seeds of common chick-weed - Stellaria media. So seedlings of this weed can be infected, too.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Janis, sorry to hear you are weary.... we hope for better strength for you soon. Thank you for sharing the photos with us. You must have had some sun or heat to open the blossoms so wide for the camera. What wonderful markings on the C. oreocreticus!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
Flowering today:

Crocus goulimyi
Crocus longiflorus in the garden
Crocus ochroleucus in the garden
Crocus mathewii in the garden
and second flush of Crocus vallicola

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
We had nice, sunny and moderately warm day, may be last such this autumn, when I with my wife could sit in evening outside with glass of wine. All the day passed checking and picturing autumn crocuses. In this entry view of Crocus collection bed - on left side spring blooming section (another bed of spring bloomers remained out of picture).
Further various forms of Crocus mathewii, but on last picture - heavy virus infection - suspected as infected last autumn and so planted in separate pot (now destroyed).
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
Few more crocuses -
Several forms of Crocus laevigatus -so variable species and some really very nice. First two are from Crete (via Jim Archibald)
Following are collected by me on Peloponnese
Crocus ochroleucus white form from Boumana - again via Jim Archibald, originally collected by Bob And Rannweig Wallis
Then Crocus pallasii dispathaceus from Icel - from Jim Archibald. Seem to be true. Something resembles some orchid flower. Nice? Don't know, bur very special certainly.
And as last ones are representatives from several populations of Crocus pallasii collected this spring on Samos and Chios Islands of Greece just near Turkish border.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
Here various flowers of Crocus nerimaniae showing symptoms of virus infection (not only my collection, but some I got from other growers - pity, all were infected :'()
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
Few days ago I wrote that Crocus oreocreticus samples in my collection are very uniform, but today started blooming sample which I got from Jim with more rounded flower segments and slightly buff toned.
Crocus veneris has one of smallest flowers between my collection, usually overtopped by leaves, hiding them, but this autumn leaves don't miss to see flowers.
And as last in this entry - some samples of Crocus pulchellus collected this spring on Chios Island (Greece) showing that this Crocus is very uniform by color. I c0ollected it on various locations and labeled as Crocus sp., annulate tunics, hoping to some biflorus/chrysanthus.
Janis
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:04:09 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »
Various Crocus cancellatus subspecies and forms and their variability.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
One of last blooming forms of Crocus banaticus - Snowdrift - one of most beautiful forms of this species
Several forms of Crocus cartwrightianus, the last 'Halloween' - baught this autumn
Crocus ligusticus (known as Crocus medius, too) from Italy - very large form
Crocus melantherus form with stipled back of flower segments
Crocus pallasii forms from near Bozkir in Turkey
And as last today - Crocus oreocreticus from Jim, in background another form of this species
Janis

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
Janis, thank you for this tour de force today.  So many stunning crocus.  When I present my Crocus Lecture I always tell the audience that there are many, many more crocuses that I could not include .... little do they know just how many!  I also suggest they come to this forum for a taste of the best.

Hope all these flowers help you to feel better too.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
Janis,

i had the last year a Crocus speciosus by such a strange flower form.
This year he has blossomed again quite normally. Is this really a virus?

We had nice, sunny and moderately warm day, may be last such this autumn, when I with my wife could sit in evening outside with glass of wine. All the day passed checking and picturing autumn crocuses. In this entry view of Crocus collection bed - on left side spring blooming section (another bed of spring bloomers remained out of picture).
Further various forms of Crocus mathewii, but on last picture - heavy virus infection - suspected as infected last autumn and so planted in separate pot (now destroyed).
Janis
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
and some 'normal' Crocus from last weekend,
Cr.laevigatus Goldback form from Crete
   niveus with darker blue outside
   cancellatus ssp.pamphylicus
   veneris
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Kees Green

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
Nice to see so many beautiful crocus
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal