We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris Lady Beatrix Stanley  (Read 4307 times)

arillady

Re: Iris Lady Beatrix Stanley
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
Lesley as I understand the rules in Australia which are probably similar to yours in NZ - if something has been in NZ previously you can import it.
I will email separately a contact person who might be able to help.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

PeterT

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 05:04:38 AM »
Enviromental Protection Authority = EPA http://www.epa.govt.nz/Pages/default.aspx
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
Thanks Peter. Your info is obviously more up-to-date than mine.

Pat, it's not as simple as that. In NZ even if something is here, we must prove it was here prior to the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act came into being, in 1993. We have to provide, as examples, catalogues which listed the plant, or invoicing which proved it was bought from whatever source. No doubt there are other ways to prove, like photos with printed dates on the back (Kodak photo paper was dated if I remember rightly.)

Then if we say we have had this or that plant since Adam was a cowboy on the West Coast, or since the year dot, we have to prove the plant actually IS what we SAY it is. To do this we have to know or hire a taxonomist to study the plant and give a decision on its identity.

I kid you not. I recently, on request, wrote an article for the Frit Group of the AGS, and it was published in their most recent Bulletin. I wrote it back in March of this year and to be absolutrely sure my information was correct, I phoned ERMA (as it was then) and spent some 20 minutes speaking with their Chief Policy Officer who gave me dates, costs and requirements. I don't believe anything has changed since then, except, if Peter's PBS lady is correct, and why wouldn't she be? the astronomical costs have risen to stratospheric. In March minimum cost to have a plant assessed for entry was $1600 plus GST plus any assessment costs.

So yes, if we go through all that and if the plant is already here, we may import more, but only as seed unless we are prepared to pay even more thousands for a quarantine process of not less than 12 months. This too can be achieved but our MAF requires that any source of our imports must be inspected while the plants/bulbs are in growth 6 months prior to their export (and dormant at import) and inspected again prior to leaving their source and again on reaching NZ. This list goes on and the agony continues. As you can imagine, we don't even think about importing. That I have been able over a few years now to import from Marcus Harvey is due entirely to the fact that he, at his own expense, went through all the hoops required by our MAF. He must do this every year, if I want more domant bulbs, which is why I encourage any NZer who can, to import from him, and spread his costs a little. He has been incredibly good to me, and so very generous. The bulbs I get from Marcus don't require quarantine though they must be dormant but unfortunately, Iris and Tulipa and a few others must be quarantined. Why? Who knows. I don't.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
EPA is the new name for ERMA, no typing mistake....

So what does EPA stand for? What does it mean?

EPA= Environmental Protection Authority
http://www.epa.govt.nz/Pages/default.aspx
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
Mark

These are available in Dobbies at either £2.99/3.99 for 8 bulbs.  They are part of Taylors range and I would imagine they are now readily available at all large garden centres.

I got mine from Bridgemere Garden Centre in August and they have been planted now for 6 weeks.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

PeterT

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
well that sorts the original question out, well done.

Welcome to the SRGC forum Klaasje, I hope you will stay around. There are several other people also from New Zealand as well.
I know that you enjoy Cyclamen, Habranthus and Irids  :D - there are good threads on these plants....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:48:22 PM by PeterT »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
Klaasje, my apologies for not offering you a warm welcome! Good to have you posting.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the EPA link Maggi. I see they do a lot more than ERMA did. I guess the change of name and role is explained by the fact that recently our beloved govt merged a number of departments with a number of other departments, all in the cause of cost savings, but losing many jobs in the process of course.

I see one of the 6 criteria on which costs are decided  says "prices should not discourage applicants." They obviously think that NZ is populated by 4 1/4 million clones of Bill Gates!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

bettyclark

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:04:58 AM »
Leslie I have in my very hot hand I Francis hodkins, I Francis Histriodes major, Histriodes aintabenses also Iris sintesii all x Mary.  You are very welcome to what I have.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Hello Betty, lovely to see you here again. Thank you so much, I'd LOVE the ones you mention as I lost my histrioides some years ago and am pretty sure there is some virus among others. I need to start again with many reticulata types, though some of the named forms like 'Cantab,' 'Purple Gem' and 'Natascha' all have seed pods this year, perhaps because they've been planted in small groups, close together in the (non) rock garden. If it's OK with you I'll come up again in about a month, before Christmas, just for the day. I'll phone first.

I was very sorry to have cancelled seeing you on Tuesday/Wednesday but after the Sunday thing I couldn't have been social and cheerful and even civilized I think. I got through the meeting OK because I had to concentrate on crocuses but I'm still a bit weepy and just want to garden at present.

I'll be in touch soon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:12:13 PM by Lesley Cox »

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Hi Lesley,

I have just imported Iris histriodes LBS and Major and I now have I. Frank Elder and Sheila Ann Germaney well in cultivation here.

It remains to be seen if I can "revive" Otto's Iris histrio to its former glory. It took a nasty dive to the bottom a few years ago but slowly recovering. I have posted a picture to remind you (and me) of how incredible it once was. I think Otto still has his happy.

I would have liked to have obtained a stock of "Angel's Eye" but couldn't get any joy there

Cheers, Marcus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
Lucky, lucky you Marcus. Unfortunately Iris has to be quarantined here if we import so it's not an easy matter as with crocuses, say. But I really hope they all do well for you and increase mightily.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
Going back to an earlier post, Choice Landscapes seem like a waste of time to me - I emailed on 2 or 3 occasions, practically pleading for a reply the last time, and still no-one could be bothered.

Alex

PeterT

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »
I think that there is only two of them Alex, and the probably cant keep track of all they have. They have stands at most of the midlands shows though.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal