We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rheum nobile/alexandrae  (Read 40541 times)

Bjarne

Re: Rheum nobile/alexandrae
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
Rheum alexandrae grows without any problem by me, even in purest peat and without any care, but anyway it might be of easier culture then.
But would the superficial likeness be a little clue to any growth/climate requirements similarities with nobile, or not at all?

Rheum alexandrae from Tianchi lake 3850m, Zhongdian, Yunnan. It grows in quite damp in peat soil
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

ArnoldT

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
OK, what's the flower in the background.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Bjarne

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
If you mean the image with R. alexandrae it is Primula secundiflora (and Rhododendron rupicola).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:35:38 PM by Bjarne »
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

ArnoldT

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »
Yep, that's it.

I see I can buy it right nearby in Maine.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

arilnut

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Arnold, where!!?

John B

Yep, that's it.

I see I can buy it right nearby in Maine.

John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
If you mean the image with R. alexandrae it is Primula secundiflora (and Rhododendron rupicola).

Funny Bjarne, before I read your rupicola I was thinking chryseum. Half right. growing near the lake says something about their dislike of drought eh?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Two more seedlings up this morning. I should have counted the seeds. I usually do if there are 10 or fewer, so maybe 12-15.

Bjarne, please explain more, your system for R. nobile. I take it the plastic containers are to be reservoir rather than planting container? Is that right? I can't see where the containers have been stowed, in the second picture, trying to match the rocks in the two. Where is the tap and where exectly is the plant?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:37:45 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 12:45:18 AM »
There don't seem to be any Rheums listed in their current catalogue.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »
Lesley:

it was the Primula I was referring to.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
Oh, sorry, that would explain why I couldn't see rheums. ;D :-[

Bjarne

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »

Bjarne, please explain more, your system for R. nobile. I take it the plastic containers are to be reservoir rather than planting container? Is that right? I can't see where the containers have been stowed, in the second picture, trying to match the rocks in the two. Where is the tap and where exectly is the plant?

Hi Lesley
I'm not so good to explain in English so I have tried to make a sketch. Hope you can see from the sketch how it is done :-)

The photos do not show Rheum since it is only a small seedling and the tap does not show either, since it is hidden behind one of the lower stones.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:05:07 PM by Bjarne »
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
Thanks Bjarne, yes, that helps a lot. I see what you mean now. ;)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
Well it's a while since we posted here but I have good news this morning (Mar 11th) in that I have 7 seeds germinated overnight, of Rheum nobile from Holubec seed. The seed was sown on February 22nd. There are several other little bumps in the grit which I expect to be seeds up within a day or so and I'll take a picture when it stops raining. That may have helped; we have had rain almost every day/and or night for about 3 weeks and the seed pots are quite wet. I guess germinating is the easy part and now I'll have to work out what to do with them as they grow a little. It may be that they should be separated and potted individually while still very small rather than disturb the roots too much. I'm tempted to try some in long tom pots with a very high proportion of gravel and grit, with a little humus. Any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received. As for flowering them, that's a long way off yet, if it ever happens.

Hi Lesley

Great that your rheum nobile seeds have done so well! I had found too that germination was generous.
Last year, I have lost 3 seedlings in the few weeks following repoting. Aside from the possible repoting stress ( but in my opinion not that great in comparaison with other more delicate generas), I guess the weather was simply too wet last summer, and my poting mix was probably not free draining enough.
I even wonder if, for me, it isn't more complicate to try to grow them for too long in pot during their younger lifes, or I have to find really the perfect adequation between faultless drainage and sufficient watering, according to the plant growth and strength. And there seems to be not the littlest place for any mistake in this combination. I can't keep an eye on the seedlings during winter, they have to live alone for 6 months between november and april, with or without snow cover, with or without rain, with or without damaging frosts. So, in my case, I think they can possibly get through this crucial period better if directly planted in the bed.
For the next time to come I will try to sow 2 or 3 seeds in each sowing-pot, wait the summer months to let the seedlings get a bit stronger, and then repot the whole seedling-pot directly in open ( well prepared) ground in autumn, without any root disturbance. For such big adult plants, I have long found that many 1/2 years seedlings of different genera/family generally do better when quickly put in the ground ( preferably in a dedicated multiplication bed, where they can still be watched closely).
I'll tell in a few weeks what will be the result of my last-year nobile-seedlings. Hope there will be something to tell!
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »
I think all mine must have germinated by now. There are 12 seedlings, none as yet with second, true leaves. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to pot each one separately now, before the roots become too long. I have no garden place suitable to plant them out so will have to keep them potted for at least a year. I'm thinking of a mixture of humus, gravel and grit as a possibly suitable mixture.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal