We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2011  (Read 26846 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2011
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
I was baptised Swedenborgian as that was the church in Long Lane, Dalton.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
I would sell my snowdrop books to buy it  ::)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
I would sell my snowdrop books to buy it  ::)
Anne - if it is published as a real book I think you would need to sell more than your snowdrop books. Since sales would be tiny, it is likely to be very expensive.  I suppose it could be published online.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
DNA studies in Narcissus genus are not very useful tool as it changes in the same species, in the same locality depending the altitude.

Geographical distribution and Alkaloids research are much interesting tools because it also explains the evolutive relation between species. I am quite exceptic about RHS classification because this genus is extremely complex and it needs years of field research. If you collect few samples, surely, it will be a huge list of different species like in the past. Most of the names in the old calssification were invalid, retired by their own authors, but I saw it again in following classifications ej: Narcissus lagoi, Narcissus juressianus, Narcissus calcicarpetanus etc.. etc.. also other legitime names that are not recognize like N. obsoletus (since Parkinson's draw), and not N. miniatus.

I suggest to RHS researches to live some years in Spain during the study, otherwise I'm affraid it will be another case of greenhouse taxonomy. It's a nice place, very sunny! ;) good food, and with Portugal, North west Africa, the geographical origin of the genus.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
.. also other legitime names that are not recognize like N. obsoletus (since Parkinson's draw), and not N. miniatus.

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-347508  - following Kew N. obsoletus is accepted  ;)

Glad on my small island only grow three species ...  ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Rafa

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
You are wrong Hans, there is a place in Mallorca where you can find N. cantabricus as well and many other species.... YOUR GARDEN!  ;D

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »
 ;D - you might be right, and I think most of them are still correct labeled ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
I suggest to RHS researches to live some years in Spain during the study, otherwise I'm affraid it will be another case of greenhouse taxonomy. It's a nice place, very sunny! ;) good food, and with Portugal, North west Africa, the geographical origin of the genus.
There is already someone who has been there researching for some time...  ;)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rafa

« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
you? Anne? :o

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Love this peach form of N. obsoletus, Oron. Is it Gerd's selection?

Sorry Rafa, missed that, yes it is Gerd's selection.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Rafa

« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
Oh thank you Oron, so we could call it Narcissus obsoletus var. knochei ? ;)

arillady

« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
Personally I will wait till Rafa decides to write up all his findings - with his marvellous illustrations to show features.
I should imagine that authors of plant books do not always make a living from that alone.
This book will need to be written in conjunction with the aril book that he will co author and illustrate with Oron and Miriam etc ;D ;D
This is for your spare time Rafa ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:53:44 PM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Rafa

« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
OHH! Pat, thank you for your compliment  :-* I am just a amateur botanist.... most of the scientific people here, involved in Narcissus research consider me quite mad!! anyway they leave to participate in their projects. We are going to publish next year an interesting paper of Narcissus genus, based in alkaloids. Quite perturbing conclusions and results...

Concerning illustration, I starting again to paint since I stopped the house works. A long winter comes and I hope to make many many watercolors. Maybe I will make any expo in Scottland someday, here there are not much interest in botanical art. Aslo I will prepared a bird illutration expo. I am currently working in a plate of Iris nectarifera, thanks to a picture that Hans sent me, and also a plate with N. obsoletus, N. viridiflorus and their hybrids N. x alleniae (the official one) and another direcction of hybrid, I discovered two years ago that I called N. x rutherfordii.

The actual Taxonomy Laws just support one hybrid, don't matter who has done male or female gamets, or if the hybrid is self fertile and don't need any longer their ancient parents, the name have to be the same N. x alleniae. This is a mixtake in my oppinion, it is not the same AxB or BxA, at least in Narcissus genus, but I am starting to think that it is fundamental in any genus. Of course, I also understand as a mixtake to call N. x .... somthing that is self fertile, which is creating bigger populations than the parents.

Today is blooming in the green house Narcissus albicans, but I don't know where I leave the camera!!.

PS: Anybody has comunicated recently with Ezeiza member (Dr. Alberto Castillo) no news from him since many days... :-\

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »

PS: Anybody has comunicated recently with Ezeiza member (Dr. Alberto Castillo) no news from him since many days... :-\

Rafa, Alberto has posted on the PBS List recently.  Found your camera yet? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Oh thank you Oron, so we could call it Narcissus obsoletus var. knochei ? ;)

var knochei or knochii sounds good to me only that the species name itself would probably change 3 more times in the next couple of years... ;)
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal