We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop events 2012  (Read 57105 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Snowdrop events 2012
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
If I would want to go to the Gala, would I have to buy a ticket very early? And where do you do this? I would love to go, but I am not able to plan this very early.

Lina, I think that you need to book very early, when the date and ticket sales are announced  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
I did expect this already. Probably there are more people who want to go, then there are tickets. Another option would be to go with the Galanthustour that is organized by Garden Tours and where Hanneke van Dijk is the hostess. But here also you cannot get a booking very easy. People who did join earlier are the first ones that can book. And then the buss is full most of the time. But eventually I will get there.
Thanks Maggy for you reaction.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
I am really disappointed!!  The two main Galanthus events in our region is at the same weekend AGAIN!
Why? Galanthus weekend at Kalmthout, Belgian, is at the same time as Galanthus weekend at Nettetal!
This is not funny. Why donn't they communicate? I think Nettetal was first with their date. So Kalmthout should communicate about this.

Sorry, but I really am disappointed.

Lina.
I'm not surprised you are disappointed Lina... it does seem crazy to have the two events at the same time.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
Well here is an extract from the e mail from Cottage Garden Society

Members Day will be held on Saturday 18th February 2012. We will be visiting Christopher Lloyd’s garden at Great Dixter in East Sussex to see their collection of snowdrops (hellebores and crocus). We will, as usual, meet in the nearby village hall in the morning.

Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

steve owen

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
Thanks for this Chas. However I didn't know Great Dixter had snowdrops. I thought they went in for much more exotic things there.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 08:16:01 PM »
There is a growing interest in snowdrops amongst gardeners down in the south-east and the Kent Group of the Hardy Plant Society is holding its 11th annual Snowdrop & Hellebore Extravaganza at Goodnestone Park Garden, near Canterbury, on Sunday 19th February. Rod Leeds will be giving a talk. This event has always been good fun regardless of freezing winds and melting snow on occasions, and there is a nice warm lecture room and tea room!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
Keep an eye on this link, Hagen... all the details will appear there, I am sure: http://monksilver.gerard-payne.net/galanthus-gala/

Joe Sharman would like to tell people the above web site is not an official new web site.

This is web site for information http://www.monksilvernursery.co.uk/
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Good grief, the link I gave has all the Monksilver info.... what are these 'drop fiends playing at?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
a dinnae ken
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
The Belgian equivalent to the UK 'Galanthus Gala' is scheduled for Saturday 25th February.  This is a small event compared to the UK Gala, attracting about 50 people in 2011.  There is a link here http://www.provant.be/kalender/vrije_tijd/domeinen/arboretum_kalmthout/collecties/hamamelis/2012_02_25_sneeuwklokjesweeken.jsp?module=tcm:7-12959-4&page=3&referer=tcm:7-20462-64 but this is in Dutch.  I use the Google Chrome browser which will provide a translation into English.

I went to this event last February and had a good time there.  The location is an arboretum in Kalmthout which is in a very pleasant rural setting in North Belgium, close to the Dutch border.  It is easily accessible by public transport as the arboretum is a very short walk from Kalmthout train station and this is on the main line between Antwerp and Roosendaal.  Stopping trains call at Kalmthout at least once an hour.  You need to book and pay in advance for the event but I was allowed to book in advance and pay on the door because the form of payment (by bank transfer) requested by the arboretum is ridiculously expensive from a UK bank.

In the morning there were three lectures, two in Dutch and, fortunately for me, one in English.  These were mounted very smoothly and efficiently with good audio-visuals.  Although I speak no Dutch I was able to follow the broad thrust of the Dutch talks and I also met quite a lot of Dutch people who recognised me from the UK Galanthus Gala which they had attended and were kind enough to speak to me in English during the social parts of the event.  Hanneke van Dijk was particularly kind, whispered English help with the Dutch lectures and later took time off from selling her book to walk me over to the excellent snowdrop display which was in another building that I had not found.

After the lectures there was lunch then the sale started at 2pm (much more civilised than the UK scrabble).  There were around six stands selling snowdrops, including Roger Harvey from the UK.  If you were looking for snowdrops you cannot find in the UK there wasn't too much on offer, mostly ones that had been found and cultivated by Valentin Wijnen - he had a sales table.  The arboretum itself had some of the readily-available snowdrops, lots of snowflakes and a large collection of hamamelis cultivars.           
Almost in Scotland.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »
our dates are up...

http://www.beningtonlordship.co.uk/events/snowdrops.shtml

if anyone wants to visit outside of the official opening please get in touch nearer the time, more than happy to arrange a quieter visit.

I am planning another Snowdrops & Cake, with added soup ;) not settled on a date yet to avoid clashing with group bookings, I'm hoping for Sunday 19th but probably can't fix it till end of Nov.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
I have it from a good source that the Gala in 2012 will be in Devon/Cornwall actual venue not yet determined. Is it to early to say "Welcome to the end of the known world" ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
I have it from a good source that the Gala in 2012 will be in Devon/Cornwall actual venue not yet determined. Is it to early to say "Welcome to the end of the known world" ;D

see here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8074.0

I'm tempted to say something about Galanthus Grockles..... but I won't  :-X

steve owen

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »
Does anyone know if there usually a separate Galanthus "do" in Holland?
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:07 AM »
Steve, are you planning a trip to Holland?
There will be a "Sneeuwklokjesfeest" (Snowdropparty) in februari at Dineke Logtenberg's farm, De Boschhoeve, at Wolfheze. I have not seen a date, but you can keep an eye at her web-site. www.boschhoeve.nl
Normally here are several growers and also people who sell galanthofilia. And always two or three different talks.
In my own neighborhood (this is the north part of Holland, close to the german border) we have 2 Snowdropsundays. Februari 26 and march 4. If you are interested I can give you more details of this event.
Ofcourse there is also the event that is organiser by Gerard Oud. Sneeuwklokjes gala. Februari 18 and 19.
So you can choose, or visit all.  :P
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal