We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dolomite Lime versus Garden Lime  (Read 5214 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Dolomite Lime versus Garden Lime
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
I can't find a local supplier for Dolomite Lime anymore, what's the difference please between it and ordinary garden lime? I use it to dress the soil where I'm planting Irises (not PC's) and roll my Juno and Reticulata type bulbs in it when re-potting.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Dolomite Lime versus Garden Lime
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
David, garden lime is "quicklime" - hydrated calcium oxide; though I think in some cases this may be mixed with, or wholly replaced by, crushed chalk or limestone (i.e. calcium carbonate).  Dolomite-rock, which is calcium magnesium carbonate, is calcined ("burnt") to form dolomite lime. So, the difference is the presence of a significant proportion of magnesium in the latter. Both will raise the pH of the soil, dolomite lime having the higher pH. The latter will also be useful where there is Mg deficiency.

Dolomite lime can be ordered over the web from GardenDirect I think, probably among other companies.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
Many thanks for the information Dave. Garden Direct's price for 3Kg is £7.50 plus £5.95 p&p. WOW, gold must be cheaper! I'll have a look on Ebay
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roderick

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
I hope nothing has changed!  Earlier this year I was paying £7.00 + VAT per 25 kg for Dolodust.  Ground limestone was £4.79 + VAT per 25 kg at the same time from my wholesale supplier.  So if you are using enough you should be able to find it cheaper!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal