We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Leucojum (Acis) valentinum  (Read 1110 times)

Emilio Monedero

• Sempervivum: species and cultivars
Leucojum (Acis) valentinum
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
Hello

Today some of Leucojum valentinum have flowering buds. It's a very interesting plant only present in very little places from Valencia (Spain). I want to grow from seeds very much plants for planting in nature. Is necesary the protection of the habitats that it's growing.

Sempervivum: species and cultivars
http://sempervivum-jovibarbas.blogspot.com/

Ezeiza

Re: Leucojum (Acis) valentinum
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »
Khalid, your project is much to be praised. Remember that for reintroduction in the wild you need to know where the original bulbs came from. And the new plants or seeds must be reintroduced in the same location/popultion/region.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Emilio Monedero

• Sempervivum: species and cultivars
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Khalid, your project is much to be praised. Remember that for reintroduction in the wild you need to know where the original bulbs came from. And the new plants or seeds must be reintroduced in the same location/popultion/region.

Hello

Thanks Ezeiza, I know the original location of my plants because it's growing from seeds and I want reintroduced more plants in the same place of the plants mothers of these seeds. No problem.
Thank you very much.
Sempervivum: species and cultivars
http://sempervivum-jovibarbas.blogspot.com/

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
Not slight thing. If more programs like this (saving seed for later reintroducing cultivated plants) took place a number of otherwise endangered species would be saved. It is complex though because the reintroduced material must be spotlessly clean and several attempts and failures are to be expected after reintroduction until the proper seedling age is found.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
Not slight thing. If more programs like this (saving seed for later reintroducing cultivated plants) took place a number of otherwise endangered species would be saved. It is complex though because the reintroduced material must be spotlessly clean and several attempts and failures are to be expected after reintroduction until the proper seedling age is found.

I have heard of only two successful re-introductions from cultivated plants into the wild, done by the C.P.C. and a couple of botanic gardens if I recall correctly.  Most attempts I have heard of failed.  The young plants have to be tended carefully for at least a couple of years after re-introduction:  watered and weeded as necessary.  Plants grown for many generations in cultivation are unlikely to survive in the wild.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal