We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium kentuckiense - where to plant it?  (Read 1450 times)

arisaema

Cypripedium kentuckiense - where to plant it?
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
My "bargain basement" kentuckiense looks like it's grown quite a few new roots over summer, and I'd prefer to plant it out in the garden - but where? Keeping it "rather dry" as the book suggests is easier said than done in a climate where the norm is nearly 2000mm of rain, and I seem to remember reading that it requires a fair bit of heat to develop next years flowers?

My first thought was to plant it facing south, surrounded by a couple of smaller rocks for heat and a bit of protection, but will it tolerate nearly full sun here in southern Norway?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cypripedium kentuckiense - where to plant it?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
I have no idea..... but Finn H. grows wonderful Cypripediums in Tromso so I'd ask him.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
I would, but I don't think his experiences would translate this far south ??? I'm on the same longitude as Helmsdale in the Highlands.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
Definitely in the shade, but no overhanging branches.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:33:27 AM »
I would, but I don't think his experiences would translate this far south ??? I'm on the same longitude as Helmsdale in the Highlands.
I'd forgotten you were practically in the Tropics, Bjørnar  :-[ ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Definitely in the shade, but no overhanging branches.

Thank you, Maren! I guess I'd better keep it in a pot over winter then, the garden is still young and I'm running out of trees...

I'd forgotten you were practically in the Tropics, Bjørnar  :-[ ;)

LOL! Not sure about tropics, but certainly a rainforest :P

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
The important thing in winter is to ensure that no sun falls on the pot, as it would warm up the compost and make the plant think that it's spring. It would then break dormancy and start to grow when there is more cold weather to come. This could result in damage to the new shoots.

You could bury it under a very thick mulch of pine needles or straw to keep it's root temperature as even and cool as possible during the winter. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
My "bargain basement" kentuckiense looks like it's grown quite a few new roots over summer, and I'd prefer to plant it out in the garden - but where? Keeping it "rather dry" as the book suggests is easier said than done in a climate where the norm is nearly 2000mm of rain, and I seem to remember reading that it requires a fair bit of heat to develop next years flowers?

My first thought was to plant it facing south, surrounded by a couple of smaller rocks for heat and a bit of protection, but will it tolerate nearly full sun here in southern Norway?

Here in south-eastern PA we are on the same latitude as Madrid and many of my kentuckiense grow in open conditions, certainly at least 6-8 hours of sun per day, with a south-easterly aspect.  Once established they are incredibly drought tolerant, even though by the end of the summer they look a bit on the yellow side and tatty.  They will build up faster in more light and are very easy to grow.  Plant them out and try them - I can always send you a replacement if it fails.

All the best,

John
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

arisaema

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
You could bury it under a very thick mulch of pine needles or straw to keep it's root temperature as even and cool as possible during the winter. :)

Thanks! I've usually kept them in live sphagnum in the fridge over winter for the reasons you mention, and the fact that winters can be really unreliable for a poor plant in a pot, with several deep freeze/thaw cycles and lots of rain...

Once established they are incredibly drought tolerant, even though by the end of the summer they look a bit on the yellow side and tatty.  They will build up faster in more light and are very easy to grow. 

Thank you, that was admittedly the reply I had hoped for! I can live with yellowish and tatty leaves, some of my C. reginae growing in full sun get that way, C. tibeticum and flavum on the other hand seem to love it.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal