We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lycoris hardiness?  (Read 2251 times)

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
Lycoris hardiness?
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
I have been enjoying the Lycoris thread and have wondered if anyone has had any luck with these wonderful plants in a zone 4 situation. Jim is in zone 5 I believe so that gives me hope. It has been my experience that a little mulch and some prayers can go a long way for plants on the edge of hardiness.
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

JoshY46013

Re: Lycoris hardiness?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Robert, I grow many Lycoris in Zone 5 as well so I think a bit of mulch might help!  L. squamigera seems to be very hardy here so I think you should definitely try it!

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Robert,

I suggest you plant your bulbs -- start with Lycoris squamigera, as Josh suggests, since it's the commonest hardy species -- on the south or southeast side of a building.  Also as Josh mentions, try lots of mulch as well.  Many of my Lycoris seem to grow just below the surface of the ground, so you probably shouldn't plant the bulbs 12 inches deep as a way of protecting from freezing.  Mulch can be removed in the late spring once the ground begins to warm up.

Please keep good notes and let us know your results next summer.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Robert G

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:24:24 AM »
Thank you very much for your advice Josh and John. Lycoris squamigera was the species I was thinking of starting with and I know where to get it within Canada as well which makes life easier.

John I will keep notes. I am uncomfortable about placing the bulbs in the ground in the fall, but I will try it as they are dormant.  Generally I like to plant borderline plants in the spring so they can be established by the fall. I might keep one in a pot in my coldroom and plant in spring. Thank you about the depth comments as that is my first instinct for winter protection.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »
Lycoris squamigera is certainly USDA zone 4 hardy.  I have grown it in my zone 4a gardens for 15 years, and I have friends with it in zone 3b.  Mine do not receive any extra winter mulch protection, and mature bulbs have naturally pulled themselves down to a 20-25cm depth (from the surface to the base of the bulb). 

A real benefit of winter mulch (well after the ground freezes) is to keep the ground cold as long as possible into the spring.  If you plant in a sunny area, leaves come up very early in the spring - well before any of the spring bulbs, and these Lycoris are the only spring foliage I have ever needed to protect from late spring frosts.  Early leaves are quite cold tolerant, however: 10cm leaves survive -6C, but at 30+cm cold tolerance is only to about -2C.

I received a couple dozen small Lycoris radiata bulbs eight years ago.  About a dozen still survive in varying parts of my gardens, but only produce a couple 15cm leaves per bulb each year.  Certainly not thriving, but they are doing better than expected.  I don't ever expect anything out of them, but I'm just sayin'...

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
Several years ago, in another on-line plant group, we surveyed the hardiness of Lycoris by geographical area or USDA zones.  As far as I can recall, the results were mixed for L. squamigera in zone 4.  I don't know why that was, but I suspect it was a matter of microclimates.  L. squamigera surviving in USDA zone 3 was very rare.

I had L. radiata radiata here (USDA zone 5) for several years.  It even bloomed a few times.  Eventually, it disappeared.  The last time I searched for it in winter, I found no sign of its leaves above ground.  I could probably grow it in a suitable microenvironment, if I tried to find one.  It is certainly worth some experimentation, if the bulbs are available and not too rare in cultivation, as are both squamigera and radiata radiata.

I have carried Lycoris bulbs over winter in pots in a cool greenhouse, but they do not like it.  It may not have been cold enough for them.  The spring-foliage varieties start growing very early, and that is why I recommend planting the bulbs as soon as possible.  They are probably starting to make new roots right now.  Plant now and mulch before the ground freezes, so that the bulbs have warm earth in which to make new roots for as long as possible.

Even better, if you have enough bulbs, split your batch into two and plant half now and half in spring.  Make it a real experiment.

Jim

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
Interesting that Lycoris squamigera grows and flowers in USDA Zone 4.  We are in Zone 6a/b and I have tried squamigera at least three times, it last 2-3 years maximum.  In fact one was planted in the autumn of 2009 and we have had two very mild winters since, no sign of it and it was planted close to the house foundation where Nerine bowdenii grows and flowers.  

As mentioned many times before radiata has never survived even one winter nor has it flowered in a huge pot after 35 years, I have my fingers crossed for this year as it winteresd and grew in a blistering hot greenhouse.  This is all very puzzling as English holly grows here and it is a Zone 6b/7a.  I suspect our cool summers and cool/wet soils may be a factor here. Has anyone in the UK or Europe in cool summer areas managed any of these Lycoris?

Robert - Ontario should be closer to Rick and Jim's climates (Josh - are you in Europe or the USA?) so expect they should do well for you, radiata tender though.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:39:09 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
Some rules for spring-foliage Lycoris survival, developed originally by Jim Waddick, I think, are as follows:

1.    Healthy, undisturbed roots
2.    Cold winters
3.    Warm to hot summers, but with periodic rainfall
4.    Light shade

Cold winters -- but not TOO cold.

Jim

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
Lycoris squamigera, from one undisturbed bulb planted nine years ago.  
This clump is in full sun in my northern climate.

309833-0
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:28:24 PM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
Some rules for spring-foliage Lycoris survival, developed originally by Jim Waddick, I think, are as follows:

1.    Healthy, undisturbed roots
2.    Cold winters
3.    Warm to hot summers, but with periodic rainfall
4.    Light shade

Cold winters -- but not TOO cold.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Hmm, we can supply everything but warm to hot summers.  The mid 70's would be a warm day here, 85 maybe twice a summer, usually low 70's-upper 60's; cool nights 55-65.  Light shade may be full sun here at latitude 44.  I'll keep trying nevertheless. 

Rick - spectacular clump there. Trade you an English holly. ;)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robert G

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
Thank you again for the input. I certainly can follow those rules. The cold is my only worry. I may try one in my cold room, but it is probaly not cold enough. Some cold germinators start before I have brought them out.
 Rick nice clump..a goal to work towards.

JoshY46013

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
Interesting that Lycoris squamigera grows and flowers in USDA Zone 4.  We are in Zone 6a/b and I have tried squamigera at least three times, it last 2-3 years maximum.  In fact one was planted in the autumn of 2009 and we have had two very mild winters since, no sign of it and it was planted close to the house foundation where Nerine bowdenii grows and flowers.  

As mentioned many times before radiata has never survived even one winter nor has it flowered in a huge pot after 35 years, I have my fingers crossed for this year as it winteresd and grew in a blistering hot greenhouse.  This is all very puzzling as English holly grows here and it is a Zone 6b/7a.  I suspect our cool summers and cool/wet soils may be a factor here. Has anyone in the UK or Europe in cool summer areas managed any of these Lycoris?

Robert - Ontario should be closer to Rick and Jim's climates (Josh - are you in Europe or the USA?) so expect they should do well for you, radiata tender though.

johnw

John, it certainly isn't your cold winters that is inhibiting the Lycoris to grow considering we have horrible harsh winters here in Zone 5 (actually less than an hour away from Jim) and they thrive!

I have yet to try radiata var radiata yet, I would really love to tho!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal