We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crepis incana seeds?  (Read 1616 times)

gordon julian

Crepis incana seeds?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Can any member tell me whether Crepis incana sets viable seeds and is there any supplier of such seed. All previous seeds I have received from various seed exchanges have been infertile being very thin and no substance where as viable seed I would  expect to be firm and plump as per other Asteraceae . Any further information on viable seeds would be much appreciated.   Gordon in Tasmania

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Crepis incana seeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
Mine go through to set seed but all the make is the fluff.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

PeterT

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »
probably best to find a source of wild seed from Greece....to  get a gene pool.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
There is (perhaps) a single source of genuinely fertile seed of Crepis incana and I have grown it myself and know it to be so. The source is an English nurseryman called Simon Bond of Thuya Alpine Nursery in Gloucestershire. His address is in the AGS Bulletin if not in the Scottish Journal. I can find it tomorrow. My bulletins are out of the house in our attached flat at present and I'm just about to go to bed but will get it in the morning if no-one else does, first.

This is a good reason for listing by number, the donors, beside the seed entries. If Simon's number is beside the Crepis entry in the seedlist, you can bet on fertile seed even if it's mixed with some other, non fertile from a different source.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »
Simon Bond, Thuya alpine nursery
 Glebelands, Hartpury, Gloucestershire, England, GL19 3BW

Opening times Weekends and Bank Holidays. Open 10am (11am on Sundays) to dusk. Weekdays by appointment.
Telephone 01452 700548
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »
Thanks Maggi. I'm pretty sure Simon doesn't have any relationship with email or the Internet at all, a rarity these days, especially for a business.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »
Good old Simon, I usually spend a few hours with him on the member's plant stall at the South West AGS Show in Exeter each year. You're right Lesley he doesn't have the internet and still types his List on a conventional typewriter and runs it through a duplicator. Smashing chap though and very knowledgeable about plants.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal