We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fragaria vesca varieties in Europe  (Read 2042 times)

Chuck

Fragaria vesca varieties in Europe
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:01:55 AM »
I am collecting Fragaria vesca cultivars. Does anyone have anything that taste good or is worth growing for flavor, size, or productivity. If so I am interested in seeds.

So far I have collected the following varieties
Baron Solemacher
Rügen
Ruegen Improved
Alexandria
Reine des Vallées
Mignonette
Dushistoe Lukoshko
Krasnaja Shapochka
Metsa Muinasjutt
Mečta
Zolushka
Weisse Solemacher
Yellow Wonder
Golden Dessert
Golden Piece

I do not live in Europe like many of you guys. :(

dscherberich

• Pictures of the Araceae family
Re: Fragaria vesca varieties in Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
Plant World Seeds are selling seeds of a few Fragaria cultivars that I don't see in your list. I have ordered 'White Delight' from them and they have just germinated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
I'm assuming that you realise that the seed from a cultivar has no guarantee that it will be anything like the cultivar?  Unless Fragaria function differently to other plants?  I'm concerned that you say you've collected those cultivars.... it implies that you may pass the offspring on to people under those cultivar names? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

dscherberich

• Pictures of the Araceae family
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:15:50 PM »
Oops Paul you're right!!!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
David,

I just wanted to check.  Unfortunately people do grow things from seed and then name them the same as the parent, which is where some of the mixups we get in our gardens come from.   :)  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the seedlings of cultivars will taste anywhere near as good as the parent!  ::)  Then again, sometimes you're luck and they taste even better!! ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Botanica

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
Hello,

I am new bee too, if you want i could send to you some seed of Fragaria vesca in the forest from France.

Cordially yours.

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »
I'm assuming that you realise that the seed from a cultivar has no guarantee that it will be anything like the cultivar?  Unless Fragaria function differently to other plants?  I'm concerned that you say you've collected those cultivars.... it implies that you may pass the offspring on to people under those cultivar names? ???

Most of the varieties of Fragaria vesca are heriloom. Which means they are inbreed and will come up pretty much the same. It is same as pumpkins which die each year and you save the seeds, which comes up pretty similar. There are several cultivars that are only produced by division which includes the multipetal variety, the variegated one, ssp. muricata, and Deesse des Vallees.

Chuck

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »
Hello,

I am new bee too, if you want i could send to you some seed of Fragaria vesca in the forest from France.

Cordially yours.

What do they taste like? I am interested but I am now limited on space since I got more seeds both from orders and hybridizing.

Botanica

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Hi Chuck,

This fruit is very interesting in France, it's taste very good but very smal fruit.

I eat often in my forest and in campaign.

I can send you some seed if you want if you send me a private message with your adress.

You want to have some seed of campanula trachelium, I've a good quantity of seed this year.

See you later !

Sanitraium

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
I am collecting Fragaria vesca cultivars. Does anyone have anything that taste good or is worth growing for flavor, size, or productivity. If so I am interested in seeds.

So far I have collected the following varieties
Baron Solemacher
Rügen
Ruegen Improved
Alexandria
Reine des Vallées
Mignonette
Dushistoe Lukoshko
Krasnaja Shapochka
Metsa Muinasjutt
Mečta
Zolushka
Weisse Solemacher
Yellow Wonder
Golden Dessert
Golden Piece

I do not live in Europe like many of you guys. :(

Hi Chuck,

not sure if you are still looking for the cultivars, but if yes I can recommend you cultivar Rujana, it is old german variety and is "everbearing" so it keeps flowering and fruiting to frost temp. It grows true to seed and have really good taste and quite big berries.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:28:47 AM by Sanitraium »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal