We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Relocation of Cyclamen hederifolium  (Read 6980 times)

david m

Relocation of Cyclamen hederifolium
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »

I 14 days time I am moving to a  new build property with a much smaller garden.Down from 130x90 feet to 25x30 feet
Although this gives me a chance to start from scratch I want to take some plants with me.
It is a difficult choice but as the thread title suggests I have a large number of Cyclamen hederofolium which are now in full flower and I wish to take with me.
What are the chances of and how can I maximise their survival.
The buyer is going to build a garage over the site which also has a beautiful 10x4 feet stand of 17 feet high Phyllostachis nigra  :'( :'( :'(
The rain we have had this year ha resulted an incredible growth in my bamboos an Miscanthus sps.
Thanks for any help.
David
David in Kent

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Relocation of Cyclamen hederifolium
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
David,

It doesn't seem as if you've much choice. You need to dig.

I'd scoop your cyclamen with a nice complement of dirt, pack them into a flat and cart them away. Because of their relatively large corms/tubers, and their storage capacity, they should be easy to move--even in flower. The key, as always, will be to get them into their new homes quickly. If you can't plant right away, pot them up.

With some plants, moving in flower is too great a strain because of the resources being allocated to blooming (which are substantial). In these cases, I'd cut the flowers to redirect the flow of energy in the plant. I don't think this will be necessary in your case...but you may find that you encounter a little premature senescence.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:09:34 PM »
If you can't take them all, give them away to someone or a school or something. Better than having them covered by a concrete garage floor
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
In my experience, Cyclamen hederifolium are difficult to kill. If you're short of time for dealing with them, even just digging them up and collecting them in buckets, then chucking a bit of soil on top will do for a few days until you can get them into the new garden. Even if they lose foliage and/or roots, they should survive. They may go dormant for a year, but will still mostly recover with time. I've left them lying around on top of the garden soil for weeks, even months, and they'll still flower and grow new roots.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

david m

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies..up they will come.
They are in full bloom at the moment and it would break my heart to lose them especially as I've grown many from seed.
David in Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »
Good luck, David... and HAPPY NEW HOME AND GARDEN!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

david m

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »
Thanks for that Maggie.
I'm looking forward to the new house and garden but a little sad at leaving the old place.
We have lived here since we were 25....kids brought up.. grandchildren love it but now is the time to move on.
Not many stay in the same house for 42 years these days!
One of my daughters has moved five times in nine years  :o
I couldn't survive the stress ;D
David
David in Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »
One of my daughters has moved five times in nine years 
I couldn't survive the stress

My Mum, an army wife, lived in at least seventeen houses during her marriage and took it all in her stride. I loved the life, at the time, but I must say that I am now more than happy to not only live on in the one place, but stay at home whenever possible!
While it is hard to leave a home filled with happy memories, there is always the possibility to build wonderful new memories in a new home and, most likely, to be very glad at some point in the future that you were brave enough to make the decision to move... better to make the move when you might think it a moment too soon than a mon=ment too late.   Besides, you'll be able to get your five times removed daughter to mastermind the "flitting".... and the rest of the family to do the decorating and unpack the boxes  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:07:55 PM by Maggi Young »

david m

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:10 PM »
Besides, you'll be able to get your five times removed daughter to mastermind the "flitting".... and the rest of the family to do the decorating and unpack the boxes

You are, of course, joking Maggie. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:08:12 PM by Maggi Young »
David in Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:45:22 PM »
All the best in your new home and garden David. I'm sure you will soon settle in and you will always have the memories.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
You are, of course, joking Maggie.
Well, no, I was quite serious... but then again, I don't have any children so I may have rose-tinted spectacles.... :-\

david m

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »

Unfortunately my daughter has inherited my "unable to organise a .......in a brewery" gene.
My dear wife is so organised it it makes me quite ashamed!
David in Kent

david m

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
Well, I managed to relocate around 50 cyclamen and all seem to have settled in.
I had quite a few C. mirable and other sp. in pots which have transplanted well.
I heard from my ex next door neighbour that my bamboos, 40 foot conifer, my Bramley and presumably a lot of bulbs have all been destroyed to make way for the garage.
Thanks for the advice on the cyclamen.
David in Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »
How sad to hear from such destruction from your previous garden, David. Thank goodness you have managed to move some things and I am sure the Cyclamen will be grateful for their new quarters.
Happy new home and garden, anyway! ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal