We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Megacodon stylophorus  (Read 10515 times)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Megacodon stylophorus
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »
Hi

I am wondering what I have to do with my single seedling, which grows veeeeery slowly, but healthy as I find ( only 2 rounded leaves this year again, but of a fresh green). Therefore I suppose the soil mix should be quite convenient for it, but my question is: what kind of roots does it make? It is now planted in my multiplication bed ( not in pot), being of course still too small to be put in the garden with other bigger plants around, but if it makes roots as does the similarly looking Gentiana lutea ( thick taproot), I'm afraid it will be difficult or even dangerous to remove it from this multiplication bed in 2 or 3 years, when it will be hopely grown enough to compete with other chinese friends in the garden.

Philippe
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Megacodon stylophorus
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »
Philippe - I can only envy you the chance to grow this amazing plant! I've only seen pictures of it but I know seed has been occasionally available. I imagine, like Veratrum, it will be extraordinarily slow to develop initially. Wish you every success! (PS: I am told that it is possible to 'divide' Veratrum, though I would hardly dare, but even with a tap root I expect the plant could be moved with great care).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
I have divided Veratrum californicum on several occasions, they are pretty hard to get apart. All divisions have survived. It is planted in a place where it can not get  too bulky. I have divided the plant in early spring, before it has begun to grow.
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Philippe - I can only envy you the chance to grow this amazing plant! I've only seen pictures of it but I know seed has been occasionally available. I imagine, like Veratrum, it will be extraordinarily slow to develop initially. Wish you every success! (PS: I am told that it is possible to 'divide' Veratrum, though I would hardly dare, but even with a tap root I expect the plant could be moved with great care).

I also divided some veratrum album for a few days. It was a "hard" work, I thought I couldn't get it, the thin roots were surprisingly quite deep in the soil. I didn't expect it, as I had choosen a little side-stem which I thought would be much easier to have. But there were both roots and earth in the end, and since then cool and rainy weather must have been benefic.

Yes the megacodon grows very very very slowly by me ( it is in its third summer now). Was wondering if it will ever leave that 2-leaves stage, but well, this year these 2 leaves are just a bit greater than last year. Encouraging!
You know, you don't imagine the strenght/length of a single 3 years old gentiana lutea seedling until you try to have it out correctly. Just surprising. Always a shock for the plant, such a treatment, but even if the taproot is broken in the lowest half, the G.lutea generaly recover slowly.
The only difference here is that I have plenty of G.lutea here and just one Megacodon   ::)

Philippe

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Also some news from the Megacodon stylophorus. I planted it last year in the rock bed, it had then once again still its 2 traditionnal leaves, only a bit bigger than the year before (2011).
I saw quite fine white roots as I took it out of the propagation  bed last year ( a little like those of Veratrum album for example),  fortunately no  taproot getting in the depth at this stage.
It seems to be happy now in the humus-peaty bed, planted on a north slope some 50 cms above a nearby passing brooklet, providing constant humidity deep in the soil

This year, Megacodon is on its 4-leaves stage, a great event! I guess it would take probably further 6/7 years to flower here if everything's ok meanwhile. The aerial growth is indeed most probably over for this season

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
I'm very relieved to see that it isn't a Dinosaur you're talking about - with a name like that it could be anything!   ;) ;D

Best of luck with it; one day you'll show us the flowers no doubt - are they big bells?
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Philippe

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
You're right, Megacodon sounds like some forgotten prehistoric animal  ;D, which it should however be if it once comes to flower. Big campanula-like flowers on Gentiana lutea habit, really curious indeed!

Roma

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I have three seedlings of Megacodon stylophorum from wild collected seed from AGS, sown in December 2008.  They germinated in April 2009 but progress has been painfully slow.  They were still in the seed pot till this spring when I put the whole lot into a larger pot without separating them.  I'd like to do it but previous failures with Gentianacae at this stage have put me off.  Two of mine have four leaves but the lower leaves are very small.  The roots are small and fibrous, not nearly filling the 7cm pot as you would expect from plants still in their original seed pot.

When I was working at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden we were given two Gentiana stylophorum, as it was then, by the late Bobby Masterton. It was a very long time ago, probably around 1980.  One flowered in 1992 after 10 or 12 years and it was abiggr plant when we got it than mine are now.  The second plant was still alive but not growing well when I retired 9 years ago.  I'm not sure if it is still alive.  We got plenty seed which germinated well but all died when I pricked them out :'(  I hope I live long enough to see one of my seedlings flower.

Megacodon stylophorus at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden in 1992   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Philippe

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
Thank you for the story Roma, encouraging to know it has already been successfully grown elsewhere.
As you say, the growth is very very slow! Would I have to wait perhaps 15 years here ot get flowers on it, if the plant cultivated at the Cruickshank BG needed 10/12years???  :o

I had no losses by the pricking out stage. I have a new set of seedlings which were pricked out right after sprouting last year, they have just come out again for 2 weeks. Maybe the seedlings need to be potted very soon and don't appreciate a later root disturbance.

Roma

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
Here are my three seedlings now in a 9cm pot four years old from seed
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

forest

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
Tell me whether you seed stratification , and how to sow seeds  Megacodon stylophorus ?

GordonT

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
You're right, Megacodon sounds like some forgotten prehistoric animal  ;D, which it should however be if it once comes to flower. Big campanula-like flowers on Gentiana lutea habit, really curious indeed!

Only one letter difference between Megacodon and Megalodon! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon
Maybe it should be planted in a "Prehistoric Garden"? ;D
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
I know this an old topic but perhaps I should have read it before ordering my seeds from Bjornar 😳Its amazing how often this forum crops up when looking for cultural advice. Due you think I will be able to take it to the old folks home 😊
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

arisaema

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
I can switch them to Thermopsis barbata if you'd like, apparently they sometimes start flowering after just 10 years...  ;)

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
They can keep the magnolia company😉
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal