We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Androsace bulleyana  (Read 2659 times)

Darren

Androsace bulleyana
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
I've tried this from seed a few times over the years since seeing a magnificent potful when on a group visit to our 'Veteran Vet's' garden. This year looks like my best attempt yet. Seeds from the exchange sown in march germinated well and I now have several little plants up to 3cm diameter  :). I know it will die after flowering but I love the colour.

But.....

Every time I grow this plant it starts to look chlorotic after a few weeks - dark at the midrib but getting much paler at the leaf edges. This goes away for a while after repotting the seedlings (this years are in their 3rd pot so far) but re-apppears after a few weeks. This strongly suggests a nutrient deficiency but if it is then this species seems to exhaust whatever supplies are in the compost very quickly. Obviously the thing to do for now is keep moving it on - unless someone can suggest an alternative? I've tried liquid feeds to no avail.

Does it, for example, need a really acid compost?
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

arisaema

Re: Androsace bulleyana
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
This picture from Napa Hai might give you an idea; dry, sunny and presumably very alkaline.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
That does help actually - I think I might try a spot in a trough with tufa!

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
.they've got some on the sand beds at Wisley (confirms the above, I guess, ..dry and sunny)

Darren

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Thanks Giles. Sounds like we have a plan!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal